Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow hunting...

Old 10-03-2005, 02:19 PM

Default RE: Crossbow hunting...

I recently bought a tenpoint titan and love it. It was around 550 with an acudraw 50. It shoots wonderful out of the box.

Personally, I live in town and do not have space to practice with my compound regularly enough to allow me to hunt accurately. Once - I get a new house with a big backyard - I will start compound hunting.

Realistically, the range and accuracy do not surpass a compound bow. The only advantage is not having to draw back and being seen by game. The disadvantage is their weight and bulkiness which can cause some problems where I hunt.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:57 PM

Old 10-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's one thing you forgot to mention in reguard to crossbow advantages, not only do you not have to draw but you also do'nt have to hold!! These are serious advantages!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:31 AM

Superman i too am from alabama. I bought one last year and little noisy but there are ways to quiet 1 down but will never be as quiet as the compound. i have a bow also and i like shooting both altho the compound is easier to carry in the woods and i think its more fun to shott. There are a lot of snooty hunters in this state who slam the crossbow so dont listen to them, get what u want and hunt with what you want as long as its ethical. Whats funny is the people who slam the crossbow hunt private land here and say "aint nobody coming on my land with one", thats pretty snooty. The sad thing is the bowhunters in my state, not all of them, but most of them are known as being snooty due to this attitude which i think is sad and gives the bowhunters a bad name.

My advice to all who get one: Sight it in, not at 50 yards. I have a ten point red dot scope and have it sighted in at 20/30/40 yards but prob wouldnt talk over a 30 yard shot 99.9% of the time. Shoot it and practice a lot just like you would with a bow so when the time comes you can make a good and clean shot. Also dont buy a cheapone, get one with anti-dry fire and one with a good size stock to hide your hand when you shoot. Only ignorance will get someone fingers cut-off with a broadhead, no excuses for someone doing that.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM

the only reason I see they are noisey is the 150-175lbs draw they have, of course they are noiser then a compound at that draw weight. I know with the limb savers package on my crossbow it is pretty quiet and fast.

I too have the ten point red dot scope, I also set it for 20/30/40. Even at 40 yards I can maintain a half dollar group with outa rest.

It is like the recurve bow guys, they think a compound bow is not bow hunting, and so on.... I wish people would just grow up and go out and have fun with what ever you have or can afford

Kurt
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. ARguy, you are right...people shouldnt look down and be so snooty. I hate that.

Kurt-I know thats what I keep thinkin when they dog me about it..."do you use a handmade bow and arrows?" uhh no..."then you aint primitive either!!"
Old 10-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Crossbow hunting...
See, you got it right. You realize there is a difference. That said, whatever floats your boat. No skin off my nose. I'll defend anyones right to do what is legal. XBows do NOT effect my hunting. Success or failure is all my own doing.[&:]
Old 10-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: superman8791

I got my crossbow this weekend and done some shooting. I like it alot although it is a little noisy. May need some limbsavers for it.

It is blazin fast though.

I got the Barnet Quad 400. 345fps[8D]

I know a guy that bought this crossbow this summer and had to return it after 1 month of shooting. The split limbs are splitall the way to the end and the limbs basically pulled out of the pockets as he was shooting it. After a while it poped all the way out.

If I were you, I would mark the limb and the pocket just to make sure they aren't moving on you. This guy got very lucky that he or the people that were with him did not get hurt. Parts were flying everywhere!!

My father also bought a differnt model of Barnett last year and ended up sending it back for a new one and then returned it once more for his Horton. He is much happier with his Horton.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

There's one thing you forgot to mention in reguard to crossbow advantages, not only do you not have to draw but you also do'nt have to hold!! These are serious advantages!
So is a 65-90% let off . At 90% my 8 year old grandson could shoot an 80# compound , boy what a challenge that would be for him ... BTW , you do have to draw a xbow or it won't shoot .

If it works for you and it's legal then use one , I happen to love mine . They're powerful , accurate , and I can stack shfts all day with it . Taking an accurate ethical shot that ensures the cleanest kill is what we seek when we go out , and crossbows deliver them in spades . Women and children , along with the elderly , would benefit most by them if they're unable to use a legal poundage bow effectively .
Old 10-05-2005, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

ORIGINAL: superman8791

I got my crossbow this weekend and done some shooting. I like it alot although it is a little noisy. May need some limbsavers for it.

It is blazin fast though.

I got the Barnet Quad 400. 345fps[8D]

I know a guy that bought this crossbow this summer and had to return it after 1 month of shooting. The split limbs are splitall the way to the end and the limbs basically pulled out of the pockets as he was shooting it. After a while it poped all the way out.

If I were you, I would mark the limb and the pocket just to make sure they aren't moving on you. This guy got very lucky that he or the people that were with him did not get hurt. Parts were flying everywhere!!

My father also bought a differnt model of Barnett last year and ended up sending it back for a new one and then returned it once more for his Horton. He is much happier with his Horton.
Thanks Ill keep an eye on it...thats scary stuff!![:@]

Quick Reply: Crossbow hunting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.