Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Exciting Night

Old 10-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default Exciting Night

First of all I am new to the site,joined 9/12/05, really like it lots of good information.

Well, I went hunting on my girlfriends parents land last night, and what a night it was. About 20 minutes beforeclose a doe and3 of her yearlings came out in to the food plat. They were about 80 yards south of me. They finally work their way down to me at about close. I didn't want to shota doe yet so I just watched. I knew this was going to happen though, now I was stuck in my tree stand. Then whatI feared was going to happen, happen, two bucks came out where the does did, but by then it was 15 minutes after close. I was worried this would happen, becasue I didn't want to scare any of the deer especially a buck.

The two bucks crossed the plat and came right down my side of the field. Thebigger one stop about 10 yards from me and started to scrape a little bit. Then he walked out right in front of me, about 5 yards away. The does came in and ran around with the two bucks. This was all happing about 5 to 10 yards in front of me. It was so cool to see this. I could here the bigger buck grunting of in the distance. I actually think there were more than two bucks in the field.

At this point I wanted them to go away, so I could leave without scaring them. Weird huh when you want the deer there they won't come and when you want them to leave they won't leave.A couple of the does were almost touching my ladder stand. After a while the does finally caught my scent and ran down the field a short distance. So I made a little noise and they ran away. Finally, it was only 40 minutes after close.

The funny thing is that I have been trying to decide what Scent Lok suit to buy.Here I had 6-8 deer standing down wind and everywhere else of me andit took 30 minutes for them to figure out I was there. I think I might save my money when it comes to buying a Scent-Lok suit. I did however use the sent away bar soap and deorderant bar, plus scent away spray.

Anyway thought I would share this experience with you guys, by the way I hunt in Wisconsin.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Exciting Night

I think I might save my money when it comes to buying a Scent-Lok suit. I did however use the sent away bar soap and deorderant bar, plus scent away spray.
I use much the same stuff, minus the Scent Lok, and had a similar situation this morning with a 4 pointer and an 8 pointer.

Sounds like you had a really exciting evening.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:11 PM

Default RE: Exciting Night

As long as you play the wind right you wont have to buy the scent lok.I have tried to keep from buying it for some time.As long as I am still a successful hunter I am not buying it.