Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broken leg doesn't aid in getting me to the woods

Old 10-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default broken leg doesn't aid in getting me to the woods

Well, talk about your all-time bad luck. I play rugby for Ball State University. I know I know, what am I thinking right? It's a rough sport. But I'm a big kid and I'm great at it. Unfortunately for me I broke my leg last Saturday in our match against Wright State. The first thing I said wasn't ouch, or I broke it or anything like that, it was: I've gotta figure out a way to deer hunt. If you guys have any ideas on how I could get out to the woods with a big old cast and set of crutches with a bow, let me know. I need as much advice as I can get. I appreciate it fellas.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broken leg doesn't aid in getting me to the woods

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the bad luck. [&:]

The first thing that comes to mind is a ground blind and a hunting partner to help carry everything. If you practice shooting while sitting down I see no reason why this couldn't be effective for you. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2005, 11:14 AM

My friend did the same thing last year. All we did was put camo ducktape on the castyeah we really did. And i have a double bull blind i just help him out there to it on the 4 wheeler and he sat in the blind and i sat in a treestand about 100 yards away. We could clearly see each other. It worked out just fine. Do you have anyone to hunt with?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I've got a hunting partner. Sounds pretty good guys. I'll try it out tomorrow and see what happens. I don't have any blinds, so i'll probably just try to brush myself in the best I can. I think i'll have my buddy go out tonight and set up a spot for me. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:21 AM

I would buy a bow sling for my bow.This way your amrs and hands are free to cruch you in and out.Now when you get one you need some help though LOL>Sorry for your luck.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:11 PM

I feel your pain. I had ACL reconstruction surgery a week before opening weekend. I tried to get out one weekend, sat in a ground blind but it was pretty uncomfortable and when three deer came in there were spooked by the blind since I couldn't put it up before hand. I guess I get to live at least the first half of the season through everyone's experiences on here. If you're able to make a ground blind out of brush you might be able to have more luck than myself. It's not much different shooting from a sitting position than shooting from a standing position. Just shoot a few times to get the feel for it. Good luck sir, hopefully you'll be posting a picture soon of a monster with your camo taped cast resting in it's antlers!

Paul
Old 10-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

As mentioned above, I remember watching a Realtree video where Bill Jordan had a set of camo crutches he was toting around. He did hunt out of a ground blind and was successful with it...go figure.

Still though, it should be worth a shot.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

The Balcom Bowsling is the best sling on the market and I've tried them all.

Another company has apparently bought Balcom out but you can track them down at AwayOutdoors.com.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well thanks fellas. That is on monster bucks when Bill Jordan uses the Camo Crutches, and the ground blind. Well hopefully I can make this work. I appreciate all the help guys. Oh, and by the way I have been shooting from a seated position, and you're right it's not too tough. I've actually become extremely proficient.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:40 PM

Just suck it up. get out the elmer's a go! JK, you will find a way, just be careful not to reinjure it! I play soccer, and I have played rugby, but I am stupid when it comes to injuries.

Quick Reply: broken leg doesn't aid in getting me to the woods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.