Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you carry a handgun while bow hunting?

Old 09-30-2005, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Would you carry a handgun while bow hunting?

ORIGINAL: muley69

I always carry when hunting, and keep a .357mag in my truck at all times. Far as I'm concerned, its my god given right to carry protection whenever I see fit, if it wasn't legal here in Montana I would carry anyway. Animals are only part of my concern, there are a lot of freaks out here, lot of bad things to run into in the mountains.
I agree 100% I dont leave home withoutmy 40, and luckily it is legal in Texas to bowhunt with it if you have your CHL.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not leagle here in MO. I'm not sure on the conceal carry permit though. I went thru the course, but have'nt got the permit yet because of the $100 it takes. But I don't remember anything in the course that would permit one to carry while bowhunting. MO. huntingregs specificly states that a firearm is prohibited while hunting with a bow. Wonder if walking to and from the stand would be considered hunting?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:44 PM

I would not because it is illegal in my state. I agree with Arthur P, why would I need one with a quiver full of razors.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

My knife is sharp and so is my decision making.

Handgun = NO

Broadhead = YES
Old 09-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would but I'm not sure if its legal to carry during bow season! Anyone in Wi know the law on this. I looked in the book of Regs and no help!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gonzodemon

I wouldnt carry one for dogs or yotes my arrows do just fine but i do carry one when i hunt hogs in the off season just cause its hard to draw your bow and run. If the meth labs are that bad i would search out new hunting woods and fast.
It is illegal in my state.

I'm not letting any bunch of druggies, Hmongs, or other self centered jerksrun me out of any where. Public land is for use by the public and I bought a hunting license, and pay taxes, and live in this state and I am going to hunt it.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I am hunting dangorous game, I am going to have more than sticks and blades!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have the philosophy that I didn't need a handgun in the back country, until this year I had a bear come in to raid the meat sacks full of elk meat. He was walking not 6 feet from the end of my sleeping bag with me in it. Sleeping bags are not condusive to shooting a bow and arrow. Wolves are becoming a bigger issue all the time here in the rockies. Though there are only a handful of documented attacks on people, I don't intend on being the next one. A handgun can be used to signal search parties if I ever get a busted leg or get stranded also. I broke down and bought a 44 magnum for my pack when I go into the back country now. It fits just right under my pillow at night and lets me sleep with the added comfort I will not become a chew toy while sleeping under the stars.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can carry a handgun in while bowhunting in WIbut can not be concealed. It has to be visible to all persons. I carry my Taurus .44Mag as self defense against a possible bear attack. We have had numerous bear sightings throughout the year on our property. I would never intentionally use the gun to just shoot a bear for the heck of it, but its there for cyotes, and other varmits. So yes I carry mine with me all the time. Even if im going for a nice walk in the woods.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

It is also illegal here in Michgan to carry while bowhunting. However, if you have a concealed weapons permit, then you are allowed to carry a handgun while afield. I debated this with a guy the other day.We eventually setteled it by calling the DNR office. Aslong as you have a legal CCW Permit you may carry in the field.
Never had the problem with the wild dogs and the coyotes seem to run more then anything. I did have a large black bear growl at me from 10 yards two years ago, but when he saw me move he ran as well. I then ran to the crapper.

Quick Reply: Would you carry a handgun while bow hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.