Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help w/ sighting

Old 09-30-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Need help w/ sighting

I need some advice. Every year I sight my bow in and get where I can put three shots in the heart on my target at 30 yards on a consistent basis, but when I put my broadheads on my shots go all over the place and I am basically back at square one. Anyone have some good pointers on how I can shoot my broadheads the same as my practice tips. These broadheads are really screwing up my target.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Need help w/ sighting

Sounds like the bow is not in tune.You can get away with it with field points because the arrow is so streamline. But when you put on broadheads due to the additional frontal material ie: blades, even the slightest wobble that ordinarily would not be noticed with a field point will bemuch more pronounced with the broadhead.This will send your arrowswhere you don't want them to go.

I think there is a good tuning guide on the Easton website. It's not too difficult or time consuming if you follow the steps, just give yourself an afternoon to do it and you should be ok.

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:49 PM

I agree you should have your bow tuned in by a pro if you cant do it,but you can always just sight it in with your broadheads. I highly recomend getting it paper tuned then go from there, remember though some bows shoot broadheads better with a slight left or right tear, depending on if you are right handed or lefty!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, sounds like a tune problem. I know this may sound pretty basic.... but are you sure the broadheads are the same weight as the field points?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

also spin check your arrows after you put your broadheads on to see if your broad heads are straight to the arrow. I mad a bench top spinner from a piece of aluminum. 24 x 1 1/2, 1/8 in thick. measure back 2 inches from both ends, and bend to 90 degrees. notch out a v and your done. set arrow on and spin with broadhead pointing to a fixed spot. if it wobbles. thats your problem. you'll need to change out the broadhead or realign the insert. hope this helps.