Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kill this spike or not?

Old 09-30-2005, 07:54 AM

Default RE: Kill this spike or not?

He looks like 3+ year old buck. I'd put the smack down on him if I were you.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't have to wonder anymore if a spike always remains a spike, i.e., "once a spike, always a spike." Study after study has proven this to be simply not true.

I wish I could recall which bowhunting mag it was in a couple years ago where they chronicled a deer's antler's on a farm which started out as a spike. It ended up being somewhere around a 150" deer within four years.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:37 AM

Okay, once a spike, always a spike is an old wives tale. However, I would cull this deer. Big body, but undernourished (see the ribs folks). He's been around long enough to get a big body with less than optimum nutrition. Undoubtably this has affected his antler growth also, proper nutrition might turn him around. I don't know about your area in particular, IN MY AREA for a deer with a body like that he should have 6 to 10 points. He may not always be a spike, but he will always be inferior to his buddies IN MY AREA. We have good nutrition, moderate population densities and good genetics. In your area he might should get a delayed sentence for a year, but I can't make a management decision without the rest of the management data.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Can someone plz sum up Bearklr's post for me, I cant read all that lol. JK, Im sure its very informative. I think I picked up this bad habit fromlooking atPlayboy
OK I'll help you out Diesel.

1. Spikes are NOT always spikes, countless studies have disproven it.
2. Body size is one of the worse indicators of age
3. A mature deer's neck line will run straight into the brisket unlike the one originally posted.

result= young buck that will have a bigger rack if left to grow IMHO
Old 09-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

illegal deer to shoot in Pa.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is silly, Obviously you want justification to shoot him, If it's legal in your area and you want to take him, then take him. Don't look for reasons on this board, look for them in yourself.

sorry if I offend but thats my take on this post.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

woohoo!! thnx Bearkl
Old 09-30-2005, 10:51 AM

I would
Old 09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Spike

I would say it depends on the area. If it is an area being managed, take him out, but if it's a piece of land that you have no control than it's totally up to you
Old 09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

FOR ME, I've had enough chances of shooting little guys like that so that I don't get a thrill out of it anymore. In fact I usually feel a little regret. So I'd pass. This is not because I'm such a great hunter but the area I hunt presents lots of opportunities to kill deer and I can kill two a day in the east half of the state. I know it's different in some other areas of the country where there are more hunters than deer and you'd have to moderate your opinion based on that. Spike myth is bunk. Besides, as others have said, he may make an interesting non-typical. Not every rack needs to be perfect symmetry.

Quick Reply: Kill this spike or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.