Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

EHD..disease

Old 09-28-2005, 02:44 PM

Default EHD..disease

EHD is a bad disease killing deer by the hundreds across america. its also called blue toungue, but that isn't the proper name for it...as blue toungue is found in sheep. around central IL where i am at it has killed a lot already....most being bucks. me and a couple of friends were wondering if it has infected any of your herds.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:06 PM

Default RE: EHD..disease

EHD is a fairly common disease spread by biteing flies. It is found more where deer populations are high. Although it will kill a good # of deer in an area it does not spread over large areas. When the first frost comes it stops, because the flies that carry it are gone.
PMP
Old 09-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Yep, seems to target the older deer.......ie..... mature bucks[:@]

Old 09-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of years ago it was prevalent in parts of Idaho not far from where I hunt out there.It smacked some area's out there pretty hard.I want to say the conditions for it are magnified when there has been very little rain or drought like conditions.Concentrating deer around stagnant water sources where they are in contact with the insects that spread the disease.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

It is happening all arou8nd us in central IL, just hope it doesnt hit Pike. It is caused by drought, the nats and deer both are highly concetrated on a water source, so they both combine and the deer starts bleeding internaly and drowns in its own blood. It has been killing alot of neighboring deer, I pray it cools off quick.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

whats it do to the deer that are infected? meaning can you tell if a deer has it? and what do the deer die from after being bitten?