Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How should I hunt the wind?

Old 09-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default How should I hunt the wind?

Where I hunt mostly there's a small river with 6 foot tall grass on both sides (160 Acres). The problem I face allot of the time is that the deer don't seem to bed in the same spots all the time (they can and dobed anywhere) I rarely see them bed in the woods.

No matter what the wind direction is their's a chance I could get winded.

Would you not worry about it and always play the wind in your face?

Would you not hunt in any spot where you could get winded?( one or two spots with the perfect wind)

I have a number of good spots where I know my P&Y'er hangs out but he could be anywhere!!!I'm scared to hunt them for the chance of screwing up the chance at my buck!!!

How would you hunt it?

Old 09-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How should I hunt the wind?

I like your section of always trying to anticipate the deer and just playing the wind. If you cannot trully pattern them then at least attempting to help control one factor, the wind, may eventually pay off.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem, and I have chosen this year to not hunt if the wind is not perfect... He's not coming in if he smells you, and he may avoid the area... I have 2 nice locations that I have not been able to hunt for this reason, and I went out last weekend and found 3 more spots for different wind by looking at an Ariel Photo... So my suggestion would be to look for some other areas on your 160 acres that you can hunt different winds for...You'll never get it perfect it, but you want it blowing in the least likely direction the deer will be coming from...

Good Luck...
Old 09-28-2005, 09:44 AM

Do you use scent blocker clothesIf so then I would play with the wind a little.From the sounds of it you would probably now screw up this spot if you got winded.It would also help to see how close they can get before or even if they wind you.if you use a good rutine to scent control then you may get away with it.If the ground is wide open and you can get plenty high enough in the tree say 18-20 feet then I beliebve the wind will not effect you as much as you think.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep the wind in your face...hope the deer come from that direction....You mite try getting up higher in trees ..out of the scent layer......TREE LOUNGE .........HA HA HA GOOD LUCK.....OFTEN TIME THATS ALL IT IS!!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep the wind in your face and always enter from the back of the stand. Pretty much any stand deer can come in from behind you. If you keep yourself consisten you'll have a better chance.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

dont ya love bowhunting. do you have maps etc. other access points etc. Id do a lil expermenting and give it a shot. maybe use a masking scent or something in that order. I wish ya luck