Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting

Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scouting

OK here is the deal. I have been real busy and my landlord gave me permission to hunt his 300 acres of timber in western Iowa and I haven't gotten a chance to scout it. How much time do I have till I screw up the rut hunt. I know for a fact that there are really big deer on this piece timber. I saw a monster back in july. I just want a little advice before I go and ruin my hunt. Also is it better to scout when it is rainy and cloudy or when it is sunny.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scouting

If you can check some fields out from a distance and see where the deer enter the fields and back track.

Is there a human exposure other then hunting season?

If the answer is yes then booting one won't be as detrimental as you'de think.I'd try and stay out of bedding area's as much as possible.

Deer in the rut aren't a weary as they normally are anyway.When is the rut where you hunt?

Use as much scent control for your scouting as you would for your hunt and keep your trimming down to a minimum.

Also is it better to scout when it is rainy and cloudy or when it is sunny
Yes, I also like to hang stands right before a good rain too.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 AM

I would first try and locate a topo of the area. By using a map or topo, you should most likely be able to determine travel routes, bedding areas, bottlenecks,ect. You can go to TerraServer and aquire a map, maybe a topo...and its free. This could save you some time in the woods. Just be sure to use scent control when you scout, in an effort to not contaminate the area.
GL on gettin one of those monsters.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just get your late rear out ther and get a couple of stands up. It will calm down after a few days and you will be good to go. Good luck
Old 09-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think if you scout it now and leave as minimal disturbance as possible then it should still quiet down enough by the end of October/beginning of November for it to still be huntable.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree a Topo map would save a lot of time Knowing where everything is but your still going to need to get out there and walk the property and see if you can locate where somefood sources are? This willmaby give you a few spots to put upa few stands, Even if you don`t have time to locate any bedding areasthis season your still going to be ok, If you can locate a few does you know the bucks will not be far away come time for the rut.
Good luck..
Old 09-28-2005, 10:16 AM

I would also start out by looking at topo as well as arial photo's as well.ou can see from them where the travel corridors as well as bedding areas are before ever stepping onto the property.If you can find the pages for the arial [hotos save them to your comp and then post them here for us to see some of us could probably give you the general area's to set up at.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK guys as far as food sources, I live in western Iowa and you cannot spit without hitting a corn, soybean, or a alfalfa field. Food sources shouldn't be too hard to figure out but the bedding ares scare me when I go out to scout because in the past I have always jumped deer. Just makes yer heart sink. I am going to go to terra server to see what I can find. Thanx guys.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

GET UP AS HIGH AS YOU CAN ..GLASS AND GLASS...LOOK FOR WATER AND FOOD....IF YOU HAVE TO WALK INTO AREA ...NO HIGH GROUND...BE SCENT FREE...RUBBER BOOTS...JUST LIKE YOUR HUNTING. LOOK FOR SIGN.....TRAILS....BIG RUBS....SCRAPES.....TURDS.....ETC..ALONG WITH FOOD AND WATER.....GLASS AND GLASS......INVEST IN A GOOD SPOTTIN SCOPE....GOOD SCOUTING TO YA....I FIND IT TO BE FUN!! THOSE MAPS ARE GOOD ONLY IF YOU CAD READ EM RITE...AGIN >>>GOOD LUCK
Old 09-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

And a spotting scope is only good with the right Terrian. I can't use them where I hunt, all woods .

Quick Reply: Scouting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.