Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad Shots

Old 09-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Bad Shots

Just so long as we are clear on this.....a 4in group means that all of the arrows are no more than 4in away from each other, they will all fit inside a 4in circle.....about the size of a doughnut.

NOT 4in away from the center bullseye in any direction, as was stated by MNpurplem this could be anything from the minimum of an 8in spread to who knows!

A 4in group is just fine for killing a whitetail deer at 25yds. That means he is putting his arrow through the heart at that distance. I would like to see every one who thinks that is bad to show me YOUR heart shots on the deer kills you post.

Come on people lets get real, this guy might be cool as a cucumber when he hunts and can produce the same groups in the field where some of you "target jockeys" can't hit the broad side of a barn when it counts.

If I went to a range and put my first 4 or 5 arrows into a doughnut at 25 yards I would say the same thing....."good enough"
Old 09-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you aim at the center of the lung and your arrow hits with in 4'' of that spot, you'r hitting lung!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Talondale... I think the guy you're talking about is the guy from Ohio. Was it Darrell Pace?? I think that's it. Great archer but he sure did miss a pretty easy shot pretty badly. Just like Bill Jordan missed that monster out west a couple years ago at 15 yards. Shot a foot over him and not from ducking. He just flat had a melt down.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not that it matters but I am guessing Jay Baar's.I think that is the spelling of his name.It was a realtreeprogram orvideoand it was a chip shot.It was interesting you would think these competitors would be cool as a cucumber,shooting 90 meters in an olympic setting,it just doesn't get more intense than that!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:32 PM

I don't think a 4" group at 20yrds is that bad either as long as they are practicing and limit their shots to 25yrds. Most people on this forum (including myself) are archery junkies who demand more accuracy than most and always strive for better. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

AND the point is? I am sure this has been told before but I have a buddy who shoots copetition, I have seen him consistently hit the yellow handles off of corn cob holders at 34 yards at the range...consistently!

Last year he missed a doe at 17 yards. I dont practice for groups, I practice to hit my "Pie Plate" area.