Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man Made Scrapes???

Old 09-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Man Made Scrapes???

I've never got into trying to make a scrape but thought maybe I should ask about it.My season starts in3 weeks and i'm not seeing any bucks on my trail camera.I'm kinda limited to the land that I can hunt on so I may have to get creative.I see a lot of does but no bucks at all.When can you use a man made scrape?Is that strictly during the rut or will they hit it any time?I thought maybe if I try a scrape instead of corn and other supplements maybe I can come across a buck.I'm afraid if i'm not seeing any on the camera then I won't see any in the stand.What would you guys say that I do?
Thanks,
JE
Old 09-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Man Made Scrapes???

Well they will be around thats for sure. They will use different trails then does right now and pretty much are just feeding and bedding in the same area till pre rut pics up. You can do a scrape now deer use them year round. Just don't use doe in heat in there. Make sure you have the over hanging branch and you can place some gland scent on it with doe pee in the scrape. Look at it this way. If it the bucks are smiling for your camera but the does are come rut and you will be smiling because the bucks are sure to come.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Walk me through makinga scrape if you don't mind.I don't want to make one and a deer pick up that it is man made.I'm not sure if i'm not lookingin the right spotsor what but I have'nt seen one in person.Do I make it on the trail or off to the side?How big?How much leaves and vegetaion do I need to scrape?Can I get all the stuff(gland scent and what ever else I need) at a place like Wal-Mart?Is their different kinds,if so which kind?Sorry for all the questions but i'm completely new.
Thanks,
JE
Old 09-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

i have been making mock scrapes for a few years now. first you have to be scent free. i use rubber gloves. and also spray my shovel and rake with scent a way before i start working the ground. but i like to put them on or just next to a heavily used trail. i make my roughly 2-3 foot in diameter. i want the bucks to feel that this is a dominant scrape. then i put some buck urine in the scrape,fill my dripper. hung as high as possible. to drip into the scrape. then for sight i take my small flower garden rake and make a rub near by. if i get real creative i will make 2-3 scrapes around my stand. also make a rub line from each 1 to the next. so the bucks think that another buck has come in and takin over his territory.makes sure you break some of the little branches on your over hanging branch as well for sight. without the licking branch its all for not. thats more important than the scrape is.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's what I do, I wait untill I find at least two or three scapes in the area that are different sizes, the circumfrances of the scrapes can help determine the size of the bucks making them. I usuall locate a medium size scrape and scoope up some of the dirt from that scrape and sprinkle it in the bigger scrape. Remember one or more bucks may be inhabbiting the same scrape. This is how they determine dominance. When the bigger buck comes back to the scrape to visit and leave his mark, hell get angry and become more aggressive. When the dominant buck begins tearing the hell out of the scrape, this is when I begin using doe urine untill the does go into heat then I begin using doe in heat. Remember to not touch the dirt with your hands or the bucks may stop using the scrape. I use a plastic scoop to left the dirt and place the dirt in a scent free glass bottle. Plastic contains scents that a deer can smell. You can also make a mock scrape in the same manner only you make the scrape, make sure there is an over hanging branch of some sort and place buck gland scent on that branch. Do not make the scrape too large but make it about 1-2 feet in circumfrance. Now hang your stand at least 15 yards to either side of the scrape and hunt that stand only a couple days at a time. Do not over use that stand this early in the season, it may spook the deer out of the area. Heres one that I made last year, it started out alot smaller than what it was when i took the picture.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

I've got this thing called Active Scrape that i've had for a few years and not sure how I ended up with it.Your supposed to tie it over a scrape.Should I use this?Another thing,if I do use thisdo I still need a limb/branch over the scrape or does this take place of the limb?Or do I still need the limb and tie this over the limb?Basically,willthey be distracted or sense that it is a mock scrape if they notice this thing?The box says to stand on the ground when I tie itthats why I ask.You mentioned shovel,do I need to actually dig it out some or just scrape off the top layer?
Again sorry for all the questions.
JE
Old 09-27-2005, 10:19 PM

I wouldnt worry too much about not seeing the bucks.If you have does there when the pre rut starts you will see the bucks also.Like one of the guys said the bucks will be using a lesser traveled path just off of the main doe trail.I would look for one of these and set my camera up on that trail.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Anybody have any info on the post above about the Active Scrape?
Thanks,
JE
Old 09-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go to Gander Mountain or Cabelas or any outdoor store should have it! You can also get a book on mock scrapes there as well! Good luck!