Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ARE YEARLINGS AFFECTED??

Old 09-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Spike

Default ARE YEARLINGS AFFECTED??

WHEN A DOE WITH YEARLINGS IS HARVESTED...IS THERE ANY AFFECT ON THE SURVIVAL RATE OF THE YEARLINGS STILL HANGIN AROUND W/ MOM???
HAS THERE BEEN RESEARCH ON THE SUBJECT??? ARE THERE ANY STATISTICS PROOVING ONE WAY OR THE OTHER??
BY THE WAY, THIS IS MY 1ST POST ON HERE....HOPE TO LEARN ALOT AND LAUGH ALONG THE WAY!!!!

Old 09-26-2005, 07:02 PM

Default RE: ARE YEARLINGS AFFECTED??

I have heard that other does "adopt" the orphaned yearlings. I know Ive seen a doe with three yearlings before which seems to be uncommmon.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:03 PM

I had momma and babies come under my stand over the weekend. They still had a few spots. I let them walk. I don't know how they do without mom but I don't really want to take a chance on one being a buck fawn and then not making it.

By the way, welcome!!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:05 PM

Welcome. No, yearlings are plenty cabable of fending for themselves at this age. However, they will be at a higher risk from predators until they adjust to "normal" livinig without mom always on the lookout. Good luck hunting!
Old 09-27-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ITS SURVIVE OR DIE...EAT or BE EATEN... NATURES WAY
Old 09-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as the yearlings do not have spots, they will be able to survie just fine. I harvested a doe on opening morning this year that had2 yearlings with her and i have seen them around a bunch since them. If the still have spots, let her walk.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:46 AM

Welcome.

Not sure. We have two fawns, that had spots 2 weeks ago, that has been without there momma for some time now. The only bad thing is they seem to be unafraid of humans. May led to yotes killing them. Dunno?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

As long as the yearlings do not have spots, they will be able to survie just fine. I harvested a doe on opening morning this year that had2 yearlings with her and i have seen them around a bunch since them. If the still have spots, let her walk.
You cold blooded killer! Good jobI had a doe with her fawn around one of my stands last year. I saw them almost every time.I watched the fawn with spots turn into a yearling w/out spots. Could've taken mom a couple of time when junior had spots but just couldn't bring myself to do it. (old softie I guess) But later after the fawn had grown up some I decided if the mom presented a shot I'd take it. Well she never did of course. Oh well. But I agree that if the fawn is out of its spots it should be okay.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:59 AM

At a seminar that stan potts and the kisky's were speaking at one of them kind of talked about this. They said that when you shoot a doe that has a buck fawn with her the buck is more likely to adopt that area as his home range, were as normally the doe would run off the young buck come breeding season.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:17 AM

I agree with the idea that if you harvest a doe with a buck fawn that buck fawn is more likely to adopt the area as it's home area. I've harvested a quite a few does with fawns early in the bow season, I just notice that the fawns tend to travel less. I try to take a doe with two buck fawns, in past the fawns tend to stay on our land, where they are safe since we're not going to shoot fawns. Fawns are able to survive on their own come hunting season, I heard once that does will leave fawns on their own for up to 18 hours at a time. If they can be left for 18 hours at a time, they can make it on their own IMO.

Paul

Quick Reply: ARE YEARLINGS AFFECTED??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.