Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ARE YEARLINGS AFFECTED??

Old 09-27-2005, 07:29 AM

Default RE: ARE YEARLINGS AFFECTED??

This is really a great question. I've always wondered this myself. I can't bring myself to shoot a doe with a fawn with her. My dad on the other hand is the complete opposite.I think as long as thetheory that other does adopt the fawn, then I believe it will make it.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

From what I have read and gathered from various sources, no, shooting the doe does not affect the likelihood of the fawns dieing prematurely. I believe that fawns are born when they are because of the potential for them to be able to survive the upcoming winter. I would think there was some correlation between that and having to fend for themselves.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 AM

My youngest son (9 yrs) shot a doe with two button fawns last year. Saw them (the two Bucks) a couple of weeks ago and now one is a six and one is an eight. They will be safe from us and the neighbors for at least one more year. But to answer the question they will be fine and for the bucks it does make them more likely to stay in the same area. Come breeding season mommas gonna run those babies off if they are bucks. Its natures way of limiting inbreeding by making the bucks disperse.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:09 AM

I took a doe from its yearling(no spots) the other day and I couldn't help but to feel compassion for the little guy. Athough, yearlings have been well equiped by mother nature to take care ofthemselves in the event they lose their mother. Psychologically, I think it may have an effect. I saw a study on elephants whereyoung bulls that lost their mothers too early, mainly bypoachers,were much more aggresiveand unpredictable. I don't know how this would relate to deer, but I'm sure it wouldhave some effect.
I'll ponder on this question some more
as I grill up these tasty deer loins.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I will shoot the doe with no qualms. If the surviving young does continue to come around as the year goes on, I will shoot them too. I have the tags and can not get enough deer meat.