Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

expandables

Old 09-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: expandables

I don't use Rockets Steelheads. But I shot them through some plywood along with my Muzzys, and every time the Rockets got through about 7in. more than the Muzzys. So the penetration argumentI think is bs. Iagree, you need to use a quality head no matter what style you shoot. Give me the huge cutting diameter anyday.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:42 AM

I have never gotten into the mech debate before, but here goes:
I think the debate boils down to preference. I ditto what PABowhunter said about you still have to have a tuned bow and at least 55 lbs of KE. But there are some not so good designs of expandables. The newer designs have improved dramatically over the past couple of years. The ones with the larger cutting diameters require more KE so I would stay away from them unless you have over 65 LBS of KE.
If you have a tuned bow, have( I prefer at least @60 lbs of KE or more), and a cutting diameter of less than 1.5 inches, I don't see any problems. I use the Shockwave because the o-ring is behind the blades (less energy to open). It also has to muzzy type head to bust bone. I shoot about 63 lbs of KE and I have killed deer in AL, KY, GA, IL, and MN with mine. Still have yet to have any problem and passthroughson all exept one, it drove into theground before it could pass through.
If you use mechs, stay away from the big cuttingdiameters and make sure you have enough KE. I dont buy that the newer mechs dont work all of the time.The way most of them are designed, they have to work if you only get 2 inches of penetration because the blades have to open upon resistance, no way around it. A bad shot is a bad shot!, no matter what you shoot.

My advise: Shoot what you are comfortable with, If it is mechs, have the rightsetup and pick your spot. Maybe if we all concentrated more on shot placement, the debate over fixed vs. Mechs wouldn't be that big of a topic.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't use Rockets Steelheads. But I shot them through some plywood along with my Muzzys, and every time the Rockets got through about 7in. more than the Muzzys. So the penetration argumentI think is bs. Iagree, you need to use a quality head no matter what style you shoot. Give me the huge cutting diameter anyday.
I agree about the quality head argument but you cannot totally use the Steelheads as a perfect example of a typical expandable for a couple reasons. One, they have a shorter overall ferrule and a smaller cutting diameter than most other expandables. I think if you took a poll then you would see average cutting diameter to be about 1.5 inches. The Rockets only are 1 1/8. In the big schemf things that might not seem like much of a difference but when referring to penetration and KE it makes a huge difference.

Now, don't get me wrong, I shoot the Steelhead 100s for hunting. They are my "go to" head. In fact I will probably have one on the end of my arrow come this Saturday. However, I chose them for the very reasons you listed. Out of all the expandables I have tried they provide the best penetration and durability.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:47 AM

Ok, I love my spitfires. My brother in law had a spitfire not open last year. Before anyone gets started he is a bow tech so he knows if his setup is equipped right for them. It still killed the animal. When I have shot deer in the past with them the bloodtrail is rediculous. A monster hole is left in the deer.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just killed an antelope w/ 125 grn Rockey mnt snypers, and lets just say they did the trick. I hit him right in the boiler room and the arrow exited w/ a complete pass threw, threw the shoulderblade. He only ran bout 35 yrds, which is how far i shot him. I shoot a 72# hoyt vtec, so im smackin them w/ alot of KE. I however carry both mechs and fixed. I use the fixed for second shots. After seeing the results of the antelope im hooked on these snypers, Ives seen antelope run for 1/4 mile after getting smacked in the kill zone w/ a 300 winchester mag, so they be tough animals. I like the snypers because they are one of the only "rear-ward" opening exandables on the market. This makes for a nasty entrance wound as the blades "cam" out past their locking point at first. While i admit this sucks up energy, w/ my setup i have room to spare. I also like them because they dont have a super large cutting dia.a large cutting diameter sucks up to much energy in my opinon. I shoot muzzy 125 for my fixed blades. They are about 1/2 as sharp as the mechs, which i think decreases the need for enegry as a shaper blade takes less energy to cut. In my block target i get about 2 inches more penetration w/ the mechs as i do w/ muzzys.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:52 AM

Downside of mechanicals.

the larger they are the more suface area they have the more resistance any target will offer them. this can become an isssue when shooting them at alonger distance. I really don't believe anyone when they say they don't open. I haven't had any not open.

the issue usually is people select a big one and they don't have enough Kinetic energy to make it operate and then they shoot it out at too large of a distance, make a bad hit out there and bigno there ya go another mechanical failure report.

others pick them up because they can't get a fixed tuned so they think that the mechanical will forgive them. Well if you can't get your bow at least paper tuned the mechanical cannot work up to it's potential. But they shoot them anyway. arrow fish tailing all the way to the target and of couse a lack of pentration and bingo another mechanical failure report.

For whitetail deer you don't need anything bigger than a 1 1/4 inch cut, you need the bow at least paper tuned. you should have at least 55 ft lbs of kinetic energy and you shouldn't look to shoot them past 30 yards with 55 ft lbs. if this critera doesn't fit into your style of hunting then you shouldn't be useing them.

What you can expect with a 55 ft lb rig and a 1 1/4 inch mechanical is: a pass through the ribs and heart at 14 yards. at 27 yards hit ribs and heart but no pass through. the heart offered enough resistance to stop the arrow at 27 yards. Deer went down quick enough but no pass through. So if you shoot out farther with 55 ft lbs and hit anything other that ribs and lungs you might not get a pass through. No pass throughs can make tracking more diffucult..

you should inspect your mechanical to insure that they are operating correctly, sometimes they will rust up on ya and if you don't check then you could have a not open horror story to tell.

most all of the failures with mechanicals are the fault of the hunters, they fail to do understand how big of one to use, they fail to tune thier equipment, they fail to inspect them to issure proper operation, and they fail at shot placement, probabaly due to buck fever. then they blame the broadhead.

I like to use them early in the bow season when my shots are usually limited to 20 yards or less and I have had great sucess with them, the blood trails areheavy and short but that is because of proper shot placement more than the type of broadhead.
As the foliage starts to fall and my shots open up I tend to use a fixed blade.

pspentration into targets. measure the suface area of any broadhead. the ones with the most surface area will feel the most friction when they slide into a target. the more friction felt the quicker the arrow will stop. A field tip arrow will out pentrate any other type of tip into any foam layered target. field tips have the least amount of surface area.