Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NRG Cams, Cam 1/2, Binary Cam

Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Default NRG Cams, Cam 1/2, Binary Cam

Hello,

NRG Cams, Cam 1/2, Binary Cam seem to come on PSE,Hoyt, high end bows. Are they comparable to each other?

BDC
Old 09-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NRG Cams, Cam 1/2, Binary Cam

The NRG cam and the Cam 1/2 system are similar in that they are both a hybrid cam system and essentially work the same way despite having different cam designs. Although Bowtech's binary cam is somewhat similar in the way it operates, it does have several differences that set it apart from the others. Most noteably the fact that the cams are connected only to one another, not to any other part of the bow - e.g. the limbs.

There are some guys on here who can give you more specific details as to the differences if you need them.

Also, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Darton archery holds the patent on the hybrid cam system and all other manufacturers using their technology have to pay them royalties.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:43 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply.

What are the differences in the solo cams vs. solo hybrib cams?

Old 09-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Justin is right on the money with 90% of what he posted. However, the binary system does not fall under the Darton CPS patent if I am not mistaken. A gentleman from either Michigan or Wisconsin, I forget which, designed the binary cam systemwithin the last few years.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Justin is right on the money with 90% of what he posted. However, the binary system does not fall under the Darton CPS patent if I am not mistaken. A gentleman from either Michigan or Wisconsin, I forget which, designed the binary cam systemwithin the last few years.
Well technically I'm 100% correct. I never actually said the binary cam falls under the hybrid patent.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well not quite 100%

The NRG name is just that, a name. PSE has a single NRG cam as well as a hybrid NRG cam. It's just to convey the "energy" that the cam produces.

The hybrid cam is not actually a Darton design either from what I have been told by some people in the business. Darton actually pays royalties as well. All of the companies such as Hoyt, PSE, and others are licensed from the same company/ person that Darton is licensed from. Darton just had a gold mine on their hands long before any one else did but they didn't market it like Hoyt did.

The hybrid cam is a single cam with a cam shaped idler wheel. The two "cams" are not of equal size nor are the modules on each "cam". The string is attached to each "cam" and one cable is attached to the top limb and the bottom cam. The other cable is attached to the bottom cam via a small round wheel and to the other cams module.

Honestly it really doesn't aleviate any problems associated with the other cam designs despite the advertising to the contrary. The string and cables stillstrech and the two "cams" still go out of time. More often than not they are out of time straight from Hoyt and need to be synchronized with each other.

The binary cam is a true dual cam but rather than the traditional split cables that attach cam to limb they are attached from cam to cam. Each cam has three grooves. One is for the string, the second is for the cable to run through and create the power curve, and the third is also for the other cable but is simply a perfectly round "wheel" that just lets out cable as the opposite cam takes it up.