Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe with 4 fawn

Old 09-23-2005, 01:51 PM

Default RE: Doe with 4 fawn

Just think of the monster buck that planted that seed.....seeds!

Seriously, I was told once from a guy....take this for what you want. That the first year a doe is bread, she usually has a buck offspring, the second year, has twins..usually one of each, and the third year there is a good chance of tripplets. I dont know if the number of offspring goes with the does age or what...but I do see a pattern here.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

id say she adopted 2 fawns, the reason I say this is because last yr while hunting a certain tree, The same time every afternoon there would be 2 small fawns come out together and bed down in the clover out in front of my stand. about 1/2 hr later here come momma and 2 other fawns. Usually the same time but from different areas. the 2 fawns would see momma and the other 2 and would eventuallymingle in with momma and her fawns. they would graze and then eventually move out of the area. I seen this everytime I hunted that stand but could never get a shot on momma, I dont think id have the heart to kill her with 4 babies following her but it was awesome to watch. So I figured the 2 fawns had lost their mom and would come out and wait for these other deer, they would act so excited and playful when they seen the others. it was like seeing your favorite bud after a long vac.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Doe with 4 tender-tasty fawn?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:08 PM

LOL I was kinda thinking the same thing.MMMMMMMmmmmmmm tenderrrrrrr back strapsssssssss Kinda mean but I take my fare share of young and old does.The older bigger ones I give to needy families.The tender young ones I keep for my family.Does that sound cruel of me to keep the best for myself?I dont think so.I am helping out both the local herd and the needy.How can 2 rights make a wrong? soooo MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm Tender young back strapsssssssssssss Slobbering already.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

I'm going to go against the flow here.

The most likely scenario, in my opinion, is that the doe was babysitting. We see that frequently here, most recently just last weekend. One of our 'resident' does came into the yard with 3 fawns, which were running, bucking, and chasing each other around. They camped in the yard for about an hour, then down the hill comes another doe. One of the fawns ran up to her and they left together. Here they are:

A couple of times over the years I have seen definite sets of triplets, but never a litter of 4.

~Picture doesn't seem to be working at the moment; will try a fix later.