Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QAD UltraRest - vane contact

Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 AM

Default QAD UltraRest - vane contact

I put a QAD Ultra Rest on a couple weeks ago and my arrow vanes are all turning black fron contact. I think it is from cable contact. 5" vanes normally but 4" vanes are doing the same thing. I have been shooting the arrows cock vane at 9 o'clock. The arrows seem to fly just fine but contact is contact. I prefer to eliminate the problem than let it go.

Any experiences/suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: QAD UltraRest - vane contact

I shoot the cock bird on my Blazer vanes on the QAD rest at 12 o'clock and my feathers with the cock bird down.I do know that getting the timing at optimum fall away seems to bevery critical. I took the advice of my local pro shop and tied the cord in a knot instead of cutting it off and melting the end when I thought I had it the way I wanted. In this way I can easily adjusthow much "play" andhow fast my rest will drop. It took a while because a very slight amount of adjusting the cord shorter or longer made a big difference for me.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:09 AM

I believe that rest should be shot with the cock vane either straight up or down, but not to the side. I initially shot mine with the vane down and did notice some minor fletching contact on the bottom of the forks, so I switched to shooting with the vane in the up position. Haven't had one bit of a problem since. If all the vanes are making contact, then it sounds like a timing issue.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:38 AM

Should be shot with the cock vane up. Not sure how many FPS you are at, but if it is to fast the fletchings may be the rest before it has completely dropped out of the way. I dont have this problem shooting around 275 FPS, but guys around 300 and over do. Then you have to take the rest apart and put more tension on the internal spring to make it drop quicker.
Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:45 AM

I shoot mine with the cock vane of my Blazers up. I also had to increase the spring tension inside the rest. My fps is 298. Even now, if I shoot 5" vanes, I get contact, it is that precise. I have the pdf on how to increase the spring pressure if you want. Just drop me an email. The rope placement is important also. Don't worry if you cut it too short, it's just string loop material which is pretty cheap. Once the rest is adjusted for your setup, you should be very happy with it.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Straight up is best with drop aways.If your cable is hitting fletchings either your rest is not centered,or you need to move your cable gaurd out.Assuming you have a newer style bow with a large cut out of course.Hope I helped.