Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cock vain up or down

Old 09-18-2005, 07:35 PM

Default RE: Cock vain up or down

ORIGINAL: zak123

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

If you're shooting a drop-away it shouldn't matter, no.
This is not always true. I have a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter and I have to have my cock vane down and to the left. This makes it so one of the vanes is pointing straight up. If I were to shoot them any other way the vanes would hit my rest. The feathers may not be affected by the rest though, buthaving the feathers hit the rest wouldn't do anything good for the arrows flight.
I suggest that you buy a real drop away like the muzzy zero effect then u can shoot whatever way u like!! your rest is actually a fall away inertia operated not forced out of the way.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hard Question ..Let me rub it and see.......down!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

With a drop away I would tend to prefer to shoot cock vane up but with the extra forgiveness that a feather provides I am not sure that it would be as crucial.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:03 AM

The cock feather is just a visual referencethat assures that shooterwhen they nock any tuned arrow, all clearance issues with respect to a choosen rest, cables, etc have been addressed, and arrow flight is consistant with the last. Up, down, sideways, whatever. Traditionally prong rests are typically cock down, side mounted riser rests (old school) where cock out, and small diameter carbon launcher rests were cock up. I have NO experience w/ the drop aways, or whisker bisquit style, so whatever addresses any clearance issues - get-r-done!

Many of us don't even address the cock feather issue, our arrows are dipped (or wrapped) have all one color (usually white or some other bright color) and reference the nock. These arrowsvideo really nice. If you get the angle right, they look like a tracer, and the point of impact on the animal really shows up.