Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BAITING

Old 09-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BAITING

Yep, rifles shoot 300 yards with scopes, but a bait hunter will never know this. Scents, rattling and other calls will help attract attention or eliminate odor to give the hunter an advantage, but you it’s still a fair chase hunt. You have to be proficient in calling set up and accuracy with the weapon of choice. It’s not just sitting over an established feeding station to draw the game to a specific spot and then shoot while it’s eating. Baiting is for the people that are just too lazy or have more money than brains to harvest game in a fair chase hunt. The bait people are the ones that show up late, forget most of their gear, and sleep until 9:00 then to go home and brag to their fan club how hard the hunt was. It’s funny that when the story is told about the great hunt back home, few will mention they were hunting over a bait pile! I wonder why that is? Want to hunt, THEN HUNT. Want to bait hunt, ask the farmer down the lane if you can shoot his cow when it comes into the feeder and to make sure it has a bell on so you can wake up long enough to get a shot. It will save you time and money and keep you out of the woods where ther real hunters hang out.[:-]
Old 09-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think responding to these threadsis part of the problem. Ignore them and this will show lack of intrest in the subject! That is' if your not intrested.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

What's to debate? It's either legal in your area or it's not. No debate. As far as someone thinking it's ethical or not, I see no difference hunting over bait as opposed to hunting over a natural food source. They either know where the oak tree is or they know where the "corn tree" is. I personally don't put out feeders but I do throw corn down intermittantly in different spots. It may be once, it may be every 2 or 3 weeks. Some spots I don't throw any corn down. It depends. I have observed deer walking trails and hit a pile of corn and they go from relaxed to wary and not touch the corn. Baiting doesn't mean its automatic and for me, personally, it has its limits and, once again, for me is not much fun. But its legal here so bait away.