Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows???

Old 09-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrows???

I bought a new bow and I've got to get some arrows.I have some(3) laying around from an old bow that was broken and I used them a couple of times.I want to buy somenew ones but not sure which ones.This is my first bow and I think I may ruin a few arrows getting used to shooting with a bow so I don't want to buy any real expensive ones.I basically want some practice arrows until I get the hang of it then I'll invest in some good quality arrows to hunt with..I plan to go to Wal-Mart and buy some,what do I need to know before I buy arrows?Is their any certain lenght or anything I need to take into consideration?Any brands you guys recommend from Wal-Mart?Anything I need to know just drop a line.
Thanks in advance,
JE
Old 09-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrows???

Tell us what your draw length and draw weight are. It'd also be nice to know what bow you're talking about and whether you're planning on shooting with your fingers or with a mechanical release. Until we know those things, there's no way to advise you on what arrows would have a chance of working for you.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

I just noticed something on the bow that has me a little confused.When I went to the check what draw lenght the bow was set on it showed one side was set at 27" and the other side set 28".Is their some reason for this?Thestore I bought it from set it up for me.Did he mess up or will this work.The lenght feels good but if having the cams set at different lenghts can cause me problems then I will have it fixed.The bow is a Reflex Grizzly with a mechanical release.Hope this helps,
JE
Old 09-16-2005, 04:52 PM

Yes you need both sides set the same. Have them fix that for you. What is your draw weight? That and the length of the arrow will help you determine which arrows to buy.Also what rest do you have? The arrows off the shelf at Walmart may not be set up for a prong style arrow rest.

go here anduse the shaft size selector. http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/default.asp
Old 09-16-2005, 07:23 PM

Without knowing the poundage, I can't advise you of what spine to get, but the Easton CarbonExcel is a great arrow, and very reasonably priced. $60 for a dozen. IMO, for the money, you can't beat em.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought some Wolverine carbons (50-60lbs are 29")at Walmart and they have tunable nocks on them .
I was told the Walmart Wolverine's were made by Beman for Walmart.
At around $3.25 each it's a good buy!
Old 09-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I meant to to post the weight in the last post,I must have forgot.The bow is a 50-60lb bow but when he checked it it it was like 47lbs.Not sure what the rest that I have is called but it's just a littlefork type rest.
Thanks again,
JE
Old 09-17-2005, 12:29 PM

a good arrow that i would recommend would be the beman venture 400's..there like 35 for half a dozen..pretty good price..
Old 09-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plan to go to Wal-Mart and buy some,what do I need to know before I buy arrows?
The first thing you need to know is Wal-Mart is a very bad place to buy arrows. They are generally 30" long. If you need one that long great. If not, you're shooting an arrow too heavy and too long which can lead to spine problems.

Second, I've seen as much as 10 people in an hour hold Wal Mart arrows, sling them back and forth, try to bend them, even bend them against hte floor.

And I do beleive alot of Wal Marts arrows are seconds or even thirdsin quality.

Go to a pro shop and get set up. They will give you arrows that are correctly spined, cut, and fletched with at least an offset fletching orientation.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:15 PM

Crank that bow weight up a little if you are planning to hunt with it. I have killed deer with a 45 lb bow before but shooting with more draw weight will flatten out your arrow flight some. If you are wanting to buy aluminum arrows, look at the 2214s or something along those lines. At that low draw weight you can shoot a very light arrow.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Arrows???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.