Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will he still be there?

Old 09-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Will he still be there?

Last night I was out getting ready for the bow opener. I spotted a buck while I was driving back down. He was watching me but just walked back into a draw with another smaller buck. I walked over to where they headed down and there they were about 50 yards away in the brush grazing. They never spooked, and they also had another buck with them. My question is, will these bucks stay in their routine for another week so I can ambush them on the opener? There is a good trail, but I don't know if it is getting to the time of year where the bucks will split up and do there thing. I hope he stays put and comes up in the same spot. He was a main frame 5x5 with a little 2 inch drop tine and would be a perfect buck to harvest with a bow. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will he still be there?

Thats why they call it huntin' BBS.......... I bet you are on edge now just wondering if and knowing he could be there when you have bow in hand!

Good luck! Hope ya get 'em
Old 09-16-2005, 11:01 AM

HE MIGHT STAY , THEY MOSTLY MOVE WHEN THE RUT COMES.
GOOD LUCK WITH IT![8D]
Old 09-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

It depends what got him/them there in the first place. My guess would be, yes, they should be there at some point again in the next few days but that does not necessarily mean on opening day.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

I just hope that the big buck will stay in that area for another week. It is on national forest land, but there is a game production area not far from where he was at. I think that the deer come out of the thick stuff before nighttime but stay in the woods until dark before they feed out in the open fields of the game production area. I hope that he doesn't change habits. Hopefully i'll post some pics if I get lucky.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:06 PM

Our Season here in WV does not open till OCtober 15th. A couple years ago while out scouting in Mid September. I got busted by a really nice high 7 that we had seen on and off thorughout the summer. I was in a small clump of woods and we glassing the field. I went to leave around dark and had thought I had a goo route. Low and behold this 7 must have been bed down right by the Farm house as he was behing me coming from that direction along the same draw I intended to snek out on. Anyway. I thought I was done. Low and behold Two weeks later on the open he was there along with two smaller bucks. So even after cold busti'n me, I think that being I stayed out after that till the opener. He either forgot or just didn't care.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

They have daily routines and apparently you are on to one of them. Set up for the ambush.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ifn I git a GPS reedin on ya....He wont be! GIT AT EM !
Good safe huntin 2 ya