Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Road Kill

Old 09-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Road Kill

I would think you need the permit before you can load it?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:35 AM

Thanks a lot guys. Very informative. Never really thought about bone fragments but itcertainly makessense. I love venison so yea, this is a sweet deal.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:48 AM

A cousin of mine works for the county sheriff department, he used to call my family or Grandfather when he came across a deer kill where the deer wasn't hit that hard. Just have your buddy look for the accidents where the deer is maybe hit in the head, where the deer runs into the side of the vehicle. Then there won't be that much damage to the animal, any broadside hit the animal is pretty much shot, it's not worth the time of separating the good and bad meat for the little meat you'll be able to use.

As for taging, he should have a tag for you when you get to the scene. If a sherrif calls you to pick up a road kill and helps you load it then a DNR officer tryes to do anything, I think you'll have yourself a pretty good defense on anything he may try to pull in court.

Paul
Old 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM

YEPP
ORIGINAL: Illinois Bowhuntin

Depending on how col it is.They will be good for 3 or 4 hours.I would be careful for bone fragments since they were hit buy a car.A lot of the meat will be no good due to the bruising and contusions.But you should still get some decent meat out of them.Might even end up with some good racks when the rut rolls around.