Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking for some trees

Old 09-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default Looking for some trees

Hey all. I know that this isn't the place for this, but I am looking for some white and red oak saplings. I have checked in nurseries around the area and have found nothing or they want a fortune for them. If anybody would know how I could get my hands on some could you let me know. Thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Looking for some trees

White and Red Oak saplings are going to cost you quite a bit anywhere you go. We planted a few of them this summer when I was working for a landscaping company and I couldn't believe some of the prices people were paying just to put trees in their yards.

I don't think there is such a thing as a cheap white or red oak sapling.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, just noticed your from Chambersburg. Now I'm craving peaches for some reason.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:38 AM

Don't know if its legal or not, but I would try to transplant some from the wild.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is this for a farm as an attractant or for your yard? If you're planting them for deer may I suggest you consider planting chestnut saplings? Chestnuts will start to produce fruit within 5 years and can grow to over 40', they drop tons (literally) of 1-3" fruit that a deer will walk past a mile of white oaks to get to, around the first two weeks of October. A new American chestnut hybrid (1/16th Chinese) that's blight resistant will be available in the next year or two but if you don't want to wait you can find American/Chinese hybrids currently available. I've got 6 in my yard and the deer pour down the mountain to them. I just wouldn't suggest them for yards because they have spiney hulls (VERY sharp). It will take you twice as long to get that kind of production from oaks and some oaks (white) only bear every other year. Check them out.

http://www.acf.org/
http://www.chestnutsonline.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Old 09-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

I am just looking for a couple for my yard. I have two maple trees and a few evergreen trees. I like the look of oaks. I think I may ask around some local farms
Old 09-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can't really help you with where to find them but I like your idea of using them not only for landscaping but possibly also for deer? I wouldn't mind planting some in my yard as well.

As for Chambersburg...I haven't been down that way in years. I did frequent it quite often when I was down in college though. Beautiful country.