Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Looking at Ya ?

Old 09-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Looking at Ya ?

I have a question about a possible scenario. A deer creeps into my area. The deer is in a good shooting position. I draw my bow and the deer immediately turns its head and looks right at me. Its body is still in perfect shooting position.

What do you do? If you decided to shoot anyway, where do you put your pin?

Thanks
Tom
Old 09-15-2005, 07:11 AM

Default RE: Deer Looking at Ya ?

I have a question about a possible scenario. A deer creeps into my area. The deer is in a good shooting position. I draw my bow and the deer immediately turns its head and looks right at me. Its body is still in perfect shooting position
I really need to know what your defiition of perfect shooting position is.

mine would be slight quartered away. where the pin goes depends on how high I am and how far away the deer is. I position my pin to make the arrow pass through the lung and heart area and exit on the far side by the far front leg. I shoot for that exit hole. where ever I have to enter to get that exit is where the pin goes..
Old 09-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: statjunk

Its body is still in perfect shooting position.

If you're at full draw and have a 'clear shot' at the 'vitals' sure go ahead and make that shot--providing it's not much over a 20 yard shot--as you could get some reaction from the deer knowing that he's onto to something. The further away he is, can reduce the chance of a perfect shot as the deer will react immediately, as the arrow leaves the bow.
It's a call you'll have to make under the circumstances.
Good luck!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I have a question about a possible scenario. A deer creeps into my area. The deer is in a good shooting position. I draw my bow and the deer immediately turns its head and looks right at me. Its body is still in perfect shooting position.

Thanks
Tom
I'd take the shot and aim for the exit hole. Reading between the lines it appears you're asking about deer "jumping" the string or ducking the arrow? Personally, I'd aim just as though I was shooting at a deer that didn't even know I was there.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would probably take the shot as well but aim a hair low in anticipation of the deer jumping the string. In which case, either I would make a perfect shot when it does jump or it would cleanly miss underneath the deer if it did not.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the range of the deer but if by in shooting position you mean broadside, I put the pin behind the shoulder about halfway and drop the string. That is assuming he is 20 yards or less. Past that distance I would possible wait until he was not looking. Also, when they are 20 yards and in I like to shoot a little bit high because depending on the height of your stand you may need to hit a little higher to ensure that you get both lungs and I like a high lung shot not real high but a little bit high. I personally would not compensate for the deer jumping the string. I just haven't had it happen much and it isn't something I expect to have happen. At close yardage as quiet as my bow is I expect the arrow to hit him before he ever reacts.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

sounds like if deer are picking up on your movements. your either not high enough. or you dont have a good background to break up your movements.