Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How High Do You Place Your Stand?

Old 09-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Spike

Default How High Do You Place Your Stand?

Just wondering... How high do you guys place your treestands? I've been going up 12-15ft, but that varies with the foliage and cover that I'm in. I've heard of guys going twice that high, does it really pay off? Do you see more deer and get "busted" less way up in the treetops?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How High Do You Place Your Stand?

I usually go to 20' on most trees. My favorite tree in the nearby state forest allows me to go 22' and that a perfect vantage point.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

18-21 feet. I definately get busted less up there.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

18-20 feet... any higher and i get terrified.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

A lot of it depends how much follage there is. When there is still a lot of leaves on the trees if you go to high you will have less shot opportunities. When all the leaves have dropped I go up 25 - 30 feet depending on set up. The higher you go the less you have to worry about scent and getting busted from movement.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to be right around 20-22 feet up, i think you can get away with alot more the higher up you get. One of my most productive spots though is only 15 feet, its the highest i can get up in the tree that i have to be in. It doesnt matter how high up you get, you still have to remember to play the wind to your advantage, and if its not, dont hunt that stand.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I go up between 17 - 25 feet also depending on the spot, foliage and the tree itself. I have one spot wwhere I have to be at about 24 feet because of the terrain or I get busted! Any higher gets counter productive to me! I don't practice and higher so I don't hunt any higher than this! Good luck!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to get it 17-22 ft but 18-20 is about perfect to me. Alot of that depnds on where I am hunting and what kind of back ground cover I have. If I don't have much I tend to go a little higher and it also depends on the tree. It there is a big knot above me or something I may stop a little lower etc.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I typically go up to the same level that you do. However, there are a few occasions where I have been up at 20 feet or higher. You can get busted just as easily up high if there is no cover around you but if sufficient cover is 25 feet off the ground then that is where I would probably be.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 AM

Usually 25 feet. I tie one end of a 25 ft rope to my stand and the other end to by bow. As I am climbing I know to stop when the bow lifts off the ground.

Quick Reply: How High Do You Place Your Stand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.