Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Down deer overnight

Old 09-30-2002, 11:57 AM

Default Down deer overnight

I was successful this past weekend with a doe being taken at dusk. I lost the blood trail and returned the next morning. The overnight temperatures only dropped to 65 degrees. I found her around 9am the next morning swollen. In addition to her being swollen, she had a grapefruit sized mass (tumor-like) on her belly. I tagged her on a deer-control tag and didn't feel comfortable butchering an amimal that had stayed overnight in those temperatures, as well as, theat tumor. My conscience still bothers me. Any insight, folks?
Old 09-30-2002, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Down deer overnight

I have never had one out over night(knock on wood). I am not sure if she would have been okay or not. Hopefully someone else here may be able to give some insight, the tumor would have had me worried also.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-30-2002, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the board, city fried hunter. I'm a part timer on the board but there's a lot of great people here to learn about all the aspects of hunting.
I don't know that you did anything wrong. It's hard to eat meat that your not sure about. I'd probably took her backstraps, they would have been ok to eat and that way she wouldn't have died for nothing. The tumor may have been from a previous wound that healed poorly but you never know and the bloating was probably gases in the stomach and she was probably ok but is the chance of food poisoning worth it. Other folks on the board here can tell you more about spoiled meat.
I'll tell you how I handle deer at dusk. If I'm not positive of a double lung shot, I don't take it. Trailing a deer at night is risky business and alot of times its better to save the deer for another day. A double lung shot deer is not going far but even a deer shot thru the heart might cover alot of ground before falling. There are alot of variables you have to think about before taking that dusk shot, is it going to rain, is the moon going to be bright, do you have help, do you have access to good tracking lights, i.e, lanterns or portable flourescent, both are good for spotting blood at night. The other thing, are you an experienced tracker or is somebody with you an experience tracker. You even have to think about what your schedule is for the next 24 hours to figure if you have the proper amount of time to find the deer. A poorly shot deer, gut, etc. should be left alone for at least 4 hours before trailing. Of course, you have to consider the temperature. Anyway, I didn't mean to get into writing a book but taking a life is worth thinking about. Good luck to you hunting and I hope you enjoy the board.

Old 09-30-2002, 01:08 PM

If the nighttime temp. does not fall below 45 degrees the meat will spoil is what I've always been told.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2002, 01:51 PM

Well if the deer had a tumor she needed to be taken out anyhow. Only the strong survive but as for eating, I wouldnt eat a deer with something like the tumor you mentioned. I would call the Game Commission and report this though. I would say you did the right thing dont let your conscience bother you. (If my opinion counts for anything). Best of luck though with the rest of your season
Old 09-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]