Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ground hunting w/o a portable blind

Old 09-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Spike

Default ground hunting w/o a portable blind

Has anyone had successon theground without being in a blind. I have an area(funnel) along a river that I can have my back against so that all the action will be in front of me. I was thinking of using some camo material that I can drape accrossed downed timber for cover. Just wonder if I'm wasting my time on this effort.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ground hunting w/o a portable blind

My cousin wears full scentlok and has many a successful hunt this way. He will usually sit at the base of a tree.

Tom
Old 09-12-2005, 11:45 AM

My last day of bow hunting last year was on the ground.......best hunt I had all season...I picked out a spot in the back of a picked corn field where I had seen deer coming out during gun season. I parked myself by a big tree about 20 yards from their trail. The tree had a double base so I was able to stand kind of in the middle of it. Thankfully the wind was with me. As expected, 3 does came out that evening. They seemed a little nervous.....after about 20 min., here came a 10 point....probably about a 120 to 130 P&Y. It was sooooo exciting. With the 3 does milling around 10 yards from me, I was never able to get a shot at the buck.....I may as well have for the excitement it caused in me!! Our season starts Sept. 15th and I have 23 ladder stands up so far BUT I think I'm going to stay on the ground for a few hunts. What a blast...
Old 09-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

If I can get a deer early this season, I hope to do some ground hunting. Ive never tried with a bow so I'm looking forward to it.
I am meat hunter so I try to take does before any thing else. The doe ratio around here is crazy, everywhere you hunt you see about thirty does out in the fields at any given time.
You cab always give it a try and if it sucks then dont do it anymore.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a lot of success hunting from the ground. If you can find a downed tree top........clear out a spot in the middle of it......and wammo you have a blind...........old school style. Make sure you create some lanes to shoot out ofandbe sure you can position for a shot with little movement.

If there are not tree tops down that are useful, try to find a cluster of trees or at least 2 trees kinda together and use pine limbs or brush or camo netting to kinda box you in. I have taken several deer this way when a stand would not work or when I have not had the time to hang a stand. It's preet yexciting on the ground. Keep the wind in your favor and your movement to a minimum and you should be fine.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too enjoy hunting whitetails off the ground, and I happen to own a double bull blind, yet still like the old school natural ground blinds that you make on your own. Many of my hunting spots are natural ground blinds. I use existing sapplings, trees, branches, logs, limbs etc to construct them. As a matter of fact the spot I am hunting tonight is a ground blind. They are easy to slip in and out of. Personally ground blinds bring a whole other aspect to a hunt. Having that animal at ground level with a bow is pretty intense.

Best of luck

Troy
Old 09-12-2005, 01:22 PM

[8D]Take this advice it works fine, I've hunt on the ground several times and its pretty exciting.
good luck!
ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

I have had a lot of success hunting from the ground. If you can find a downed tree top........clear out a spot in the middle of it......and wammo you have a blind...........old school style. Make sure you create some lanes to shoot out ofandbe sure you can position for a shot with little movement.

If there are not tree tops down that are useful, try to find a cluster of trees or at least 2 trees kinda together and use pine limbs or brush or camo netting to kinda box you in. I have taken several deer this way when a stand would not work or when I have not had the time to hang a stand. It's preet yexciting on the ground. Keep the wind in your favor and your movement to a minimum and you should be fine.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Spike

I have shot a number of deer this way, including some decent bucks. It's quite a rush. Just like in a tree stand you need to be concerned about having decent cover behind you. The way you describe the setup, it sounds like it would be easy to spot you against the river so the camo material would be a good idea. I have a little chair that stabs into the ground on a spike. It keeps me low to the ground, which I think helps. I also wear Predator camo and hunt the wind. Knowing when to move is a big part of being successful. I generally don't try to build a blind or anything, I just sit by some brush or weeds and sit still at the right time and move at the right time.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt quite a bit from the ground- been up-close and personal with several deer. I have made several ground blinds and hope to try out my Doghouse this year. as for as using fabric - try using limbs, branches, leaves, etc to mask your location. I have don this a a few locales and it works quite well. happy hunting.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't typically hunt on the ground without a blind but one of the guys I work with hunts almost exclusively from the ground without a blind and he takes deer every year. His strategy is simple. Find a good run and then find two large trees...each on each side of the trail. Depending on the prevailing wind he could sit at either tree. He draws back behind the tree when he sees the deer and then leans out to make the shot.

Pretty impressive in my book.

Quick Reply: ground hunting w/o a portable blind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.