Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ground hunting w/o a portable blind

Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 AM

Default RE: ground hunting w/o a portable blind

I enjoy hunting on the ground. I haven't taken anything from the ground, but I've seen plenty of game up close, and had opportunities. I try to find a think tangle, or a blowdown for a back drop to break up my outline. I also have a large piece of camo die cut material that I will stretch across in front of me. Works well. Yesterday I was bear hunting using this set up and had three does come in to between ten and fifteen yards. I watched them feed for about twenty minutes before they moved off. Unfortunately it wasn't deer season.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

ground blinds work...just make sure you're hidden and have the right wind direction...good luck.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a spot in a cedar bottom I plan to hunt from a ground blind, there are no good trees to put a stand in. I also have a couple of ground blinds set up by large oaks. I've had deer walk past me at all 3 locations. Now getting a shot , well we'll see in 2 1/2 weeks.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

So far the only deer hunting I've done is from the ground...without a blind. As long as you tuck yourself in some brush or a tree you'll be fine. Where I hunt in the middle of the woods it would be nice to put up a stand (isn't allowed), but as long as I can position myself where I can see the deer before they might see me I'm successful. I've had deer within 10yds of me, they knew something wasn't right but never spooked. have a blind for this year...not sure I'm gonna use it though