Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ground hunting w/o a portable blind

Old 09-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ground hunting w/o a portable blind

Arrow, you are not wasting your time by hunting on the ground. I have been very successful for several years while ground hunting.

The key is knowing your land. From the ground a hunter can not see all around him like one can in a tree. Its important, as a ground hunter, to be intimate with the deer movements on his land in order to be successful.

Just be patient and do not move much. Deer will spot you much easier at ground level. Otherwise all the other basic rules of hunting apply.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:23 PM

i got one from the ground last year sittin in a brushy fence row of course i played the wind and it paid off
Old 09-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i 've never taken anything when hunting on the ground, but i could of.....many times...just not what i wanted to take or misfire, lol....i just tuck into the brush, last year a young doe cam within feet of me, it was so cool.......good luck......
Old 09-12-2005, 06:34 PM

I hunt on the ground many times each year and have had decent success. I liek to build blinds either by setting into a downfall or by cutting oak branhcs and stacking them aside of a large tree. I usually setup so that I am totally covered until the deer is past me and my shot is then a quartering away one.

One thing people forget though, the cover behind you is just as important as the cover in front of you. You really want to blend in with whats behind you, almost more than whats in front of you. Learned this from experience
Old 09-12-2005, 06:42 PM

I think you have a good plan. Maybe cut some limbs and stick them in the ground around you, just enough to break your outline. And above all else........sit still.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 PM

yes you can do it but its alot more difficult than in a tree. you're on their playing field and the deer will pick up the motion of you drawing back 90% of the time. Thankfully about 75% of those deer are dumb enough to stand there and wonder what the hell was that. The deers reaction time is alot faster when you're on the ground as well. I let an arrow fly at a 150 class buck from the ground at 30 yards without a blind 2 yrs ago. I judged him at 35 because of the terrain so my aim was a little high. With combination of that and him dropping his front shoulder immediately my arrow cleared his spine bya mereinch. I did kill a 10 pointer from the same spot the next week tho, with my dads bow cause i was having problems with my Legacy at the time, hence why i switched to Bowtech.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:05 PM

i cant say ive hunted for deer on the ground..just turkey huntin..but id like to try it..somthing different
Old 09-12-2005, 11:36 PM

I just read a article in NA Hunter about GB's. It's recommended highly. As stated earlier, find a run between water and food source, set up with good cover all around, build your lanes, leave it for a few days then hunt it. In open terrain deer aren't as scared of it as you would suspect. I'll be hunting 3 blinds this year. Mainly bow but if I can't call them in then I will get out the lead slinger.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 3-d suit and hunt on the ground often. Kill deer every year that way.

Quick Reply: ground hunting w/o a portable blind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.