Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting with broadheads make you a better shot?

Old 09-12-2005, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Shooting with broadheads make you a better shot?

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Now why would anybody shoot field tips (target points) vs broadheads? Among some of the responses made by Paul there are some others. There are a few people that shoot their bows for something other than hunting. It's called target archery, field archery, 3D.
I should have said..........I don't know why anyone preparing for hunting would shoot field tips. I can see how my meaning may have been lost in the wording.

I guarantee you won't last very long shooting broadheads at the State Target Shoot.
I have no desire to shoot a State Target Shoot........If I did I would practice with what I was gonna be using and shooting at.

I'm sure you can see that there isn't much difference between you saying that a broadhead shooter wouldn't be prepared to shoot at states.........and the other side of the coin being a field tip shooter wouldn't be prepared to hunt.

After it is tuned there just isn't any reason to shoot broadheads into a target just to chew it up.
Sure there is........I want to see how my heads fly in the rain, wind, and other weather I may encounter...........I am gonna be shooting anyways so no big deal.

When I take to the woods I have NO doubts about what my equipment can do.
Same reason why I shoot broadheads right up to the minute I hunt. I even carry a spare practice arrow to take a few shots at lunch time. In my opinion you can NEVER be sure what your bow is gonna do unless you just shot it........things get bumped and stepped on or dragged through branches and bounced around in the truck.

I am just extra, extra careful................it's my nature.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:58 PM

I think Jack Nicklaus said it best: "Practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect."

So, if you're a hunter, you've got to practice with broadheads. How long before season starts is up to you, but you need to do it. You don't want to 'go into battle with an untested weapon' (just been watching "The Ghost and The Darkness").

Old 09-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

when i first started to bowhunt i used practice points for the first couple weeks but now i stock up on practice blades and haven't looked back....but i wouldn't say it makes me a better hunter...it just makes me feel more comfortable and confident.