Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting with broadheads make you a better shot?

Old 09-11-2005, 08:33 AM

Default RE: Shooting with broadheads make you a better shot?

I don't believe shooting with broadheads will make you a better shot. It will, however, give you extreme confidence in the heads you are shooting.

I for one, can't afford to shoot broadheads all the time. I shoot field points, because, well, that's what they are for, practicing. Now, when season gets close and I am doing all of my final tuning, I will shoot them a couple of times just to gain that confidence that they are going to hit where I am aiming. Then, I sharpen them back up, put them in the quiver, and the next time I shoot them is at a deer.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls
However it does tend to make a person "pay attention" more to exactly what they are doing when they are shooting broadheads.

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr
I don't believe shooting with broadheads will make you a better shot. It will, however, give you extreme confidence in the heads you are shooting.
Exactly, it does make you pay more attention to what your doing and all good shooters pay attention to what they are doing. Also, you can't be a good shooter with confidence in what you are doing, therefore if you are building confidence and paying more attention to what you are doing.... Then you are becoming a better shooter.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your bow is tuned then there is no need to shoot BHs. If you have a perfectly tuned bow, then the BH and practice tip will fly the same.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:13 PM

I still agree. On occaisions I will check my BH's on certain arrows if I notice something different. In most cases it's a fundemental error on me.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't understand why anyone would practice with broad heads once thier bow was tuned? It is more dangerous and you are messing up expensive tips.
My replacement blades for my Stingers were $15 total for main and Bleeders.......not to mention I could just resharpen but choose new instead........I don't consider that expensive and how is it dangerous?

Grouping broad heads is going to get very expensive very fast.
I don't shoot at the same spot more then one arrow.........why do I need to know if I can stack arrows with BH's for?? I don't get to shoot groups at a deer and I shoot at the same small bullseye just in different places.........if my shots are not consistently tight to the center X then I know something is up......and I didn't have to wreck any arrows to figure it out.

Even if you shoot multiple spots it will just ruin your target faster.
I have been shooting the snot out of a Morell's Yellow Jacket for 2 years now with no issues at all. I shoot at least 20 and up to 50-60 broadheads at it every day for months before the season. My Stinger blades don't destroy it and with a little care to pull straight out you can barely tell where a shot hit. the target was $30.........I bet I make it through next year before having to replace it........again, not expensive IMO.

I wil add that I shoot hundreds of arrows a week, if not a day. I couldn't imagine doing all that shooting with a broad head. I could ruin a 3-D target in a day if I practiced that way.
My first thought would be don't shoot broadheads at a 3D target.........that is insane!!! It wouldn't last 20 minutes. Get a broadhead target and shoot as much as you want.

Now if you don't practice very often, then I guess using fixed blades would work OK. I think you would be better off just shooting more though.

Paul
I practice a lot IMO............much more then 99% of the guys I know anyways. I just don't see the point in shooting field tips at a bag from 20 yards in shorts and a T-shirt all day and thinking you are set to hunt. I have sent many of those guys up the stand in my yard and watched their shooting accuracy go down the drain.........or they are dancing around 2 days before the season because they can't get BH's to fly right.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:38 PM

As others have said I firmly believe that confidence is a HUGE benefit to have in your tool box. I shoot my Stingers right up to the night before I hunt...........then I replace the blades and I have absolutely zero anxiety about what will happen when I release that head.......I have been shooting them for months so it's old news man.

Anyone ever see someone get psyched out by a broadhead?? I have and it is ugly. I have seen guys that shoot field tips great and then when they strap on a BH all the sudden they start shooting visably different like they feel they have to do something different now because the BH is on the arrow.

Shoot broadheads as much as possible IMO and they will become normal routine.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

couldn't of said it better myself atlas.... any of it.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:16 AM

Well for starters it wasn't a personal attack against you, so that response really wasn't needed. I said it was simply my opinion and nothing more. If you want to shoot all your arrows with broad heads, feel free. But in my opinion it just isn't needed. I don't do it and I have no problem shooting fixed blades in the field. I do agree that you should practice the way you hunt before you actually hunt. And than includes using a 3-d target, not a square foam target that looks nothing like a deer.

By the way, I have ruined one of the yellow jackets using field points. I find it hard to believe you shoot that much with fixed blades and it has lasted you two years.

If for some reason you mentally need to shoot fixed blades all the time to keep from getting psyched out, then by all means do it. However from a physical stand point it really doesn't need to be done. I know very few people that do this (as a matter of fact you are one of the two or three I have seen that do) and none of them that practice have any trouble killing deer. The ones that have trouble are the guys that get thier bows out a week before the season and practice for a day thinking that hitting a pie plate at 20 yards is good enough.

Paul
Old 09-12-2005, 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Well for starters it wasn't a personal attack against you, so that response really wasn't needed.
I didn't take it as a personal attack.........why would you think I did?

I do agree that you should practice the way you hunt before you actually hunt. And than includes using a 3-d target, not a square foam target that looks nothing like a deer.
I agree........unfortunately there is no combo that allows you to do that. BH's destroy 3D targets in minutes and I have hung the deer vitals photos on blocks but it just isn't the same. Until someone invents a durable 3D target that can handle BH's I guess it is one or the other.

By the way, I have ruined one of the yellow jackets using field points. I find it hard to believe you shoot that much with fixed blades and it has lasted you two years.
How could you ruin a Yellow Jacket target with field tips??.........first of all I wouldn't even shoot field tips at it because it is a broadhead target........second of all the arrows pull very hard from it with field tips and it is just no fun. I have actually just turned my target around and started shooting the other side and not because it was ruined on the first........I had to tear it apart because my dork brother twisted one of his Crimson Crocs off trying to pull it out and we had to find it. This target is just plain awesome IMO........I will say that Stingers do very little damage on the way out if pulled carefully though and that is what I shoot. I have little doubt that the Morrell target will last me through next year........that's 3 years of BH abuse.

If for some reason you mentally need to shoot fixed blades all the time to keep from getting psyched out, then by all means do it.
I don't..........but I have seen people act and shoot visably different when they have a BH on because they are just not used to it and they think they have to do something different.........if they had shot BH for months instead of minutes that would not happen.

The ones that have trouble are the guys that get thier bows out a week before the season and practice for a day thinking that hitting a pie plate at 20 yards is good enough.

Paul
I agree 100%

I am the polar opposite.......I get flustered when my BH shot is on the outer ring of the 2" bullseye........even though I know full well that is more then lethal enough. I have never used the phrase "Close enough" in my life [8D]
Old 09-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now why would anybody shoot field tips (target points) vs broadheads? Among some of the responses made by Paul there are some others. There are a few people that shoot their bows for something other than hunting. It's called target archery, field archery, 3D. I guarantee you won't last very long shooting broadheads at the State Target Shoot. Then there are those of us who shoot literally thousands of shots every year (about 10,000 to 15,000 for me) practicing and 3D shooting.

Hunting is something that I do a few months of the year. For that my bow is tuned to perfection, just as it is for any other discipline of archery. After it is tuned there just isn't any reason to shoot broadheads into a target just to chew it up. When I take to the woods I have NO doubts about what my equipment can do. The rest of the year is spent working on "the nut behind the wheel". And I don't need broadheads for that.

Quick Reply: Shooting with broadheads make you a better shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.