Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bought a tree-stand: you must be kidding?

Old 09-09-2005, 07:13 PM

Default RE: Bought a tree-stand: you must be kidding?

My treestand weighed in at 26lbs and was as comfortable as my recliner in my living room. I loved the thing but a degenerating disc in my neck made it impossible to carry it last year. I didn't get off a single shot all season (I only hunt public land). I just purchased the Alpha Hand climber a month ago and took it out to test it. The thing packs flat, weighs in at only 14lbsand I hardly know I'm carrying it. It's a bit harder to climb but I really am looking forward to getting topside this season. I love this stand.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:35 PM

you bought the wrong one.O' well doesn't sound like your willing to give the tree thing a chance, so just stay on the ground. Your probabely better off down there any way.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the world of treestand hunting. If you want a great stand without the bulk,by a Lone Wolf. Not as confy as a Summit but you can through it your back and not even know its there. Its a great run and gun stand. Not a stand to sit all day with though.

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

In truth, most of what you posted is accurate though I think we all learn to live with it for one reason or another. I have a different Summit stand and though it is somewhat large and bulky it is also an absolute dream to sit in for an extended time period. Comfort in the stand is more important than comfort carrying it in and out in my opinion.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ButchA

BowhuntrRick,

The Summit Viper XLS is all STEEL. Obviously it's going be heavy, bulky, and bang ang clang when you walk with it.

The Summit X4 (and now this year X5 series) stands are all high strength aircraft aluminum and extremely rugged, strong, and the most important factor - LIGHTWEIGHT! Heck, my Summit Viper X4 probably weights at most 22 pounds. Unlike the steel model climbers that would weigh about 47 pounds. [:'(]

Climbers have their place and are a must on high traveled public land areas, so you can get far in and deep off the trails.

I bought my Viper almost 5 years ago, and it's aluminum. The Cobra I bought 2 years ago is also. Summit hasn't made a steel climber in a long time.

I'll also echo what folks say about the padded straps. I have them on both stands, and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was taken form the FAQ section on the summit website.

"What are Summit Stands made of?
All of our climbing stands since 2000 have been aluminum. The one exception to this is the Viper Classic model – it is steel. Our hang on stands are either steel or aluminum with all the 2004 and newer models being aluminum. Our MegaSampson ladder is all aluminum. "

My 2 cents- climbers are a pain in the butt and I've been using them (4 different ones now) for 10 years. I also use tripods, ladders, ground blindsand lock-ons. All have their benefits and draw backs.
Oddly enough I feel safest in my climbers over the lock ons.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ha ha I can relate the first stand I bought was a cheapy that weighed a ton! It was too heavy and cumbersome to hike anywhere. (lesson learned, you get what you pay for!) I took it back!! Then I borrowed a buddies extra stand (Summit), Basically when a buddy has an extra stand, he'll lend out, this means it sucks! or he wouldn't have bought a different one! (thats not a summit slam--Just older technology) So I Bought a Lone Wolf. Lite and simple..expensive yes..but for me I found out that time spent hunting is priceless vs time spent setting up. Plus it is a long term investment.

Now I'm not plugging Lone Wolf..I'm just saying shop around and find the stand for you..I am a happy climber now..but like you I kicked the first 2 stands I tried back to the truck.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried more than a few climbers...hate them all. I hunt a combination of family owned land, and leased land. I'm either walking thru a corn/bean field, or a plowed field. Either way, not something I want to lug around..in addition to my normal hunting gear.

I've replaced all my ladder stands with hang on stands the past few years. I like mine about 25' up. I never use the original straps that come with them..always heavy duty ratchets..2 of them on every stand (quite expensive after a while). I prefer the Gorilla King Kong Lounger..or the Remington 300 Mag. Give those a shot..and you'll never want to try a climber again.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:14 PM

I've been using Summit climbing stands for at least the last 10 years. They are great. I have a Bushmaster climber and would not hunt in anything else. I will admit that it does take time to get used to using one. My brother switched to one and at first he hated it but after two seasons he loves it. You will eventually come up with a system. My backpack fits inside the stand while packing. I put padded straps on it of course. Once in the tree the backpack hooks right to the stand. I have a bow holder on the seat portion that puts the bow right next to your hands while seated. I can hunt a tree and leave without anyone knowing my stand location and of course I can move whenever needed. I hate tree steps and strap on steps. I guess if I could be sure that no one would steal the stand I would use some loc on stands. I do have two locon stands but dont really use them.. They are not as comfortable as my summit climber. I will say that my model the Bushmaster is alot less bulky then the Cobra XLS model.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with you 100%. I bought my first climbing tree stand this year and it is all of the above. My biggest complaint is the weight...I think about 30#. I bought new shoulder straps for it and I am going to put them on this week. I am currently using a pair of shoulder straps I stole off of one of my army packs. The weight of the stand cuts off the circulation in my arms. The thing I keep running through my mind is that it is bigger which means more foot room and sturdier. The last thing I want is to be left stranded on the side of a tree for hours and hours waiting for someone to find me. As stated above...practice, practice, practice...makes the "event" easier. I've gotten into a routine and I've climbed only four times so far. I too end up sweating like a pig on a roater but my stand tree is up a hill. I wear a short sleeve T-shirt and stop several times to catch my breathe on the way up. Just my 2 cents....

Quick Reply: Bought a tree-stand: you must be kidding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.