Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

velvet buck

Old 09-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default velvet buck

After looking at that picture of the monster buck taken in North Dakota, i started thinking. I have never shot a velvet buck, but to tell you the truth, im not sure that i would. Im not putting them down at all, and im sure that if a once in a life time animal gave me an opportunity while in velvet, i would surly take it, im not sure i would harvest a velvet buck that i normally do. For some reason a velvet buck just doesnt do it for me, i think they are so much more magnificent with a clean rack. JMO, what are all your thoughts.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 AM

Default RE: velvet buck

they don`t really do anything for me either.
unfortunately for the most part, in order to hunt bucks in the early season here. you have to take velvet at times.
i`m kind of a weirdo to the norm anyway, i would prefer to take a perfect symmetrical antlered buck over anon typical.
i know i know, like i said i`m weird that way.
so to me velvet is just one more of the ab-normalcies in a rack.
not to mention the extra care involved in handling and processingthem to keep the velvet look.

PT
Old 09-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Default RE: velvet buck

I think I would harvest one. I like the clean racks better also but I wouldn't pass on a nice velvet buck either.