Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in the rain

Old 09-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunting in the rain

Yes, depending on how severe it is. I typically hunt out of my pop-up ground blind in such situations.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still-hunting is at it's best when the groung is wet and a little rain coming down helps to cover your movements--that's when to get down from the stand and for a very,very,very SLOW walk with an arrow loaded.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:29 AM

There's no better place to be when the rain stops than in a stand. I'm definitely buying a stand umbrella this year to help protect my new Switchback on those rainy days. I agree that with a well placed shot, a blood trail isn't as important. Just do not push the deer. Give him plenty of time to expire and he shouldn't go too far.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:05 AM

If the forecast is for heavy rain and gusty winds, I stay home inside. Otherwise, I'm out hunting. I work too hard during the week not to be able to get out for a few hours each weekend to hunt!

I probably enjoy a light steady rain, mist, fog, etc. than a sunny day. I sometimes use my tree umbrella and that keeps me nice and dry for most of my hunt. When I get home, I stop by my buddy's gas station and use his compressed air to blow moisture off of my bow, then home to wax the strings and lightly oil a few spots.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

I'll hunt in a light rain. I love hunting when it's snowing lightly!!!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Spike

I never hunt in the rain and my bow has rust on the screws. Unless you oil it down after every timeyou use it, I don't see how it can be avoided.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer not to but I go no matter what the weather. I don't have that many free days so I'll take what I can get. I shot my first buck with a bow in rain and fog last year. Yep, we lost the blood trail and didn't find him that night. Luckily we found him first thing the next morning. We had to shoo away a couple of coyotes, too. Close call.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems like whenever there is a light shower, i always see a big buck, plus afterwards they realy start moving. The rain also helps cover your scent.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless it's lightning, I'm there.
Although I usually am in a tree for most bowhunting, I like being on the ground when it rains.
It's easier to still hunt when they can't hear you, and you may find very fresh tracks to follow.

Snow is the same way. One day I went out andthe ground was bare. It started snowing these really fluffy flakes, so I gave it an hour to accumulate and then started hiking. within a half an hour I'd found tracks of 2 deer traveling together. I spent the rest of the day on pins and needles running on adrenaline knowing I was less than an hour behind them. THey left the huntable area before I caught up, but that day still beats most others.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

im with cardeer. i dont bowhunt in the rain because i dont want to risk loosin an animal because the rain caused me to loose the blood trail

Quick Reply: Hunting in the rain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.