Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Bow to Buy?

Old 09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Bow to Buy?

I think it might be time to upgrade my current bow. Where I live there isn't much for hunting out of a treestand, so I mainly spot an stalk archery hunt both East River and West River for those of you familiar with the state. Right now I am shooting a Browning Tornado. I want a bow that is short, fast, light, but with a good brace height. I shoot Carbon Express Arrows, Wasp Hammer SST 100gr Heads.

I have played with two boys at the local shops, and here is what is on my list as of the moment. The Mathews Switchback and the Hoyt ViperTec. So what is everyone's opinions of these two bows? What else should I consider? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Default RE: What Bow to Buy?

can't speak for the Hoyt, but I'm loving my Switchback... smooth draw, ultra quiet, and no vibration... ohh, and its pretty quick too
Old 09-07-2005, 09:16 PM

First off,stop playing with the two BOYS at the pro shop. If your gonna do it, don't tell us about it.
I have a Switchback, and I love it. It'll probably come down to your personal preference.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 PM

Try shooting the Bowtech and diamond lines. The bowtech defender or allegiance seem to fit your needs perfectly. There are so many good bows out there that it really comes down to personal feel. Shoot them all.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:29 PM

I always shot PSE before I bought my new Hoyt.I shot most of the brands trying them out when I was looking for a new bow.The Hoyt felt better then anything I have shot and I cant complain one bit.I was out shooting today my boy was watching me hit a 6 in circle at 5 yards and he was about 30 yards from me and he said all he could hear was the arrows wizzing buy.we all know that once you hear the arrow it is too late.This bow is quiet right out of the box,durable and dependable.I havent had one problem with it since I bought it beginning of last year.When I buy another new one and pass this one down to my boy I know I will replace it with another Hoyt.You cant go wrong with the vipertec.I have the magnatec and I love it.But I am looing at the vipertec though now.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:37 PM

Switchback!
You'll love it
Old 09-07-2005, 10:12 PM

i didn't know that there was any other bow besides mathews.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

HEHE....You guys sound like my buddies sporting the Mathews. To tell you the truth if their grip felt "right" in my hand I would buy one in a heartbeat. Its no different than my shotguns I shoot, I shoot all Benellis, because they fit, and right now the Hoyts feel right at home in my palm. To tell everyone the truth I've wanted a Mathews for a long long time, and now I have the funds to buy whatever.....Anyone have any chrono Switchbacks, Hoyts, or Bowtechs out there? My current setup is shooting 245fps thru the chrony at 3ft.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:45 PM

Well since this thread so far seems to be just about all mathews votes im gonna throw in my 2 cents. i bought a new vipertech about 4 months ago and could not be happier! I shot the switchback, vipertec, vtec, liberty, and the allegiance. I really didnt like the switchbacks grip but otherwise the bow shot great to me. The allegiance was also a very nice shooting bow and so was the liberty. In fact when i buy a second bow it will be the liberty. Now for the hoyts. The vipertec and the vtec were my favorites. They both just felt perfect in my hand. I love hoyts grips. The two bows shot pretty much the same but like you i wanted a shorter ata bow so i went with the vipertec. The vipertec is a very quiet, fast, and forgiving bow. Thats my opinion. I like the vipertec the best. But everyone has there own opinion. You are the only one who can decide which bow feels best to you. In my opinion whether itbe hoyt, bowtech, mathews, pse, browning, etc you cant go wrong with any of them.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 PM

Just so you know Mathews grips can be interchanged to accomidate your shooting style (I hate the pistol grip, too). As to speed, check out this thread http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1191408

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.