Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are tanneries that slow?

Old 09-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Are tanneries that slow?

I've been dying to get my buck mount back from last season. The guy that has it does really good work and allot of it. I called him a couple weeks ago seeing how everything was going. He said I'll check too see if your cape is back from the tannery. I shot this buck last Nov. And I'm assuming the cape was sent in not too long after that.
Do the tanneries take that long?
How long does it take to mount it?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:48 PM

Default RE: Are tanneries that slow?

There are times when it will take a year or bettter for you to get your moutn back.If the Taxidermist is busy he has his hands full.I know mine does his own tanning.But we have become very good friends and I usually get mine back in 4 months.I have given him capes and such off of deer I do not want to have mounted.So he takes care of me.But I know a friend of mine got his back in 11 months from a busy taxidermist.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

He told me 6-8 months!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

when does your deer season end ? Ours is at the end of January.

he may have waited until the end of the season , so that he could send all his caps in at one time, to save on cost of shippiong and probaly get a discount at the tannery. Just a guess.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

HEY DON'T FEEL LIKE YOUR THE ONLY ONE , I got two bucks mine and my sons , we took within 10 minutes of each other december 2003 and the taxidermist said 14 months , i checked a couple weeks ago and still no end in sight this is 21 months now
Old 09-07-2005, 06:44 PM

21 months????????? I would of choked him to death by now.I would go there and ask him to personally see my animals.I would have went and picked up my capes and taken them somewhere else by now.I would say you are probably getting the run around.
I would be worried about freezer damage to the capes since they have been frozen this long.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

My cousin is one of the better Taxidermist on the east coast and I can tell you from first had experience that it can take quite a while to get capes back from a tanner and you never know how it going to look when it cones back. Sometimes they are great and some times they are a disaster!!! It can be a bit of a crap shoot. As well as if it a good taxidermist, he is probably so busy he is turning work away or charging big money in the hopes of discouraging 'new' business.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had one come back in under 10 months from a taxidermist. Seems like 12 months is about average for most folks.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

The longest I've waited may have been 5-6 months. My taxidermist now loves me to pieces so she usually gets mine done in a couple to few months.

I'd be FURIOUS (on the verge of murder) if someone had one of my deer for a year or more...hope the worth will be worth it.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I had mounts done it was 1 yr to 15 months for a good job

Quick Reply: Are tanneries that slow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.