Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jerky Question??

Old 09-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Jerky Question??

I guess I can ask this question here.I was'nt sure where else to ask.I'm getting ready to attempt my first jerky making.I'm not sure how to go about it though.I bought some jerky seasoning at Wal-Mart but not sure how to cook it.In the jerky seasoning intsructions it says follow the instructions on the dehydrator.I barrowed mine and it has no instructions.Seems like the dehydrator I haveis a common one because I see it at a lot of people houses and stuff.It has a base,5 racks,and a lid.You just plug it in and I guess you can't adjust the temperature.It has a vent on top and thats about it.Can you guys give me some instructions on cooking this?Like maybe how long,what I need to set the vent to,or any others info that a beginner may need?
Thanks in advance,
JE
Old 09-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Jerky Question??

It's hard to say. I think for meat I have to set mine on the hottest setting. Time depends on how thick the meat is. Play around with it. It will take 5-10 hours depending on the meat. It's pretty hard to screw up jerky. After all it's dried out meat. Just put it on and try it once and a while. You'll get it!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done mine in the oven as well. Soak the meat, run toothpicks through it and lay them between the oven racks. I went like 300 degrees and left the oven door open a crack. Checked on it every two hours or so until I got the texture I wanted. Was great.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

You have it right just plug it in and it works. Slice the meat 1/8 to 1/4 inch pieces. It takes a few hours to finish. I think around 6 if I'm not mistaken. I would check it after a few hours and the every half hour. If you go too long it gets way to brittle. Good luck, the worst that can happen is you end up with tough jerky.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:27 PM

Thinner meat dries faster.

Leave lots of space around the meat for air circulation.

Ground meat makes great jerky.

I don't bother with the "shooter" for making ground jerky. Just mix everything on a cutting board, flatten to about 1/4" thick and cut into strips and load into the dryer.

Depending on the temperature of the machine and the moisture content of the meat the amount of time to dry the jerky will be about 12hours. The real dry brittle stuff will keep in the pocket of your coveralls for a year and still be good. The moist stuff will be consumed with amazing speed if not hidden well. Women, children, and pets all seem to love jerky.

Good luck making jerky!

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Old 09-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

I will tell you a funny jerky story. About 10 years ago my daughter was in first grade. I worked third shift ( 11 pm- 7 am) at the time. As you know making jerky is a time consuming job. Anyhow, I had spent about 3 days making a big batch. When it was done I had it all in one of the big gallon sized freezer bags. I took some to work one night and of course ate it all really quick and couldn't waitto get home and eat some more. I had an early dentists appt that morning so I went straight there and din't come home before my wife and daughter left for work/school.
Well I got home and couldn't find the jerkey anywhere. I thought my wife was playing a joke. So I called her and she said that she saw it in the fridge that morning but honestly didn't do anything with it. So I went to bed finally. When my daughter got off the bus and came in I said " Honey, do you know where the deer jerkey is?" She said "Uh Huh!" I said "Where is it?" She said " We ate it!! I said "Who did?" She said " My class and my teacher.Daddy you make the best jerkey in the whole world and I wanted them to taste it" Man I laughed but really wanted to cry!! I told her it was Ok, but we talked abouthow jerkey is like Gold and that we dodn't give it all away. She is a sophmorenow and we still laugh about that.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

LOL................Great story
Old 09-07-2005, 07:40 PM

I dont lik emy jerky chopped and made with the shooter.I think the best jerky is made with 1/4 inch thick slices and soak over night int he fridge.I use my own jerky recipe and it tastes pretty darn good if you ask me and anyone else who has tried it.it doesnt last long in my home.This year I will spend weeks making it though so I have some for the whole year.I usually cook mine over night leaving the vent about half open.Put it in just before going to be and checking it first thing in the morning.Then check it every so often after that until it is what you want.Besides you get to try a lot when you check it.I let mine cool off for about 5 minutes before eating..Lets you know about what it will be when you turn it off then.I dont know what recipe you use but I have never liked store bought pre mixed stuff.You might want to try to google recipes and see what is out there.I took a couple different recipes I tried and made one out of them and it is pretty darn good.Very easy to make.You will love what you end up with and you will have to buy a dehydrator for yoursself so you can make it whenever you get the urge for some.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:49 AM

I generally leave the vent on the top of the dryer wide open to get the moisture out and to reduce the temperature of the dryer.

The higher the temperature the more the meat resembles Bar-B-Que and the less it looks like Jerky.

When you are using marinades you can stir the meat in a warm marinade for 20-30minutes and get close to the same color into the meat as leaving in the fridge over-nite.

I prefer 1/3 Bourbon marinades myself.

Another 1/3 should be Soy sauce as both a tenderizer and as a cure to get the moisture out of the meat.

The remaining 1/3 should contain the concrated flavor for the Jerky. Tabasco, Worchester Sauce, Garlic, Onion, Liquid Smoke all work for me. Be creative and blend your own.

You can concentrate the flavor of a whole can of orange soda or a can of rootbeer by reducing it to a third on the stove. Try it with a batch of jerky. If you like maple syrup you can reduce it as well and concentrate the flavor to add to the marinade. Thats how it works.

Good luck making jerky!

Good luck hunting!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remember to rotate the racks periodically so it all cooks evenly. Or else you'll have brittle crap on the bottom and raw meat on the top. The powder stuff isn't that good. Make a marinade. Start with 2/3 soy sauce and 1/3 water. Then add a table spoon of garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper.

Quick Reply: Jerky Question??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.