Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jerky Question??

Old 09-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Jerky Question??

I bought a drier years ago and bought eight trays plus a couple of fruit roll-up covers. We dry fruit (we all love the pineapple), make fuit-roll-ups from cans of fruit cocktail, and JERKY!!! I grind my meat and add the flavors that I want. I use the packets you can buy or mix my own. My dehydrator circulates the air evenly so I don't have to move trays around and it has a single hole in the top that I can't change. I also use a gun to make the jerky even in thickness. I tried using rib meat but it was uneven and dried uneven. You can over cook jerky and end up with a dry piece of nothing. I don't remember exactly but I only had to cook it a few hours to get the right temperature. Oh my drier also has a dial with a setting for meat...I think 135°. I am going to try dehydrating pineapple on one tray and jerky on the next for a nice sweet tasting jerky. It will take longer with all of the juice but I think the flavor will be good. Experiment with small batches until you get what you want. Then ship all of us some...
Old 09-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

definitely make sure you rotate your racks if the dehydrater you are using doesnt have a blower on to circulate the air better because i have seen some that just have a heatin element in the bottom and they dont circulate the heat very evenly so you have to constantle keep rotatin the racks so you get even cookin
Old 09-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

i do mine in my smoker. turns out pretty good. i always marinate my meat over night. then b4 we head out hunting i put it in. hang from racks with toothpicks. then whenever someone comes back they check on it and add more wood chips if needed. 1 year bout 5-6 years ago we did this. headed off to a neighboring farm to do some pushes. well we didnt get back right away. it was real dry and brittle. so i just through it off to the side. it laid there for over a week. my brother who lives in charleston,sc. came home. wanted to take some jerky back to the boys. he scooped that junk up and took it. then he tells me they loved it and thought it was great. boy if they only tried the good stuff!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Illinois Bowhuntin

I dont lik emy jerky chopped and made with the shooter.I think the best jerky is made with 1/4 inch thick slices and soak over night int he fridge.I use my own jerky recipe and it tastes pretty darn good if you ask me and anyone else who has tried it.it doesnt last long in my home.This year I will spend weeks making it though so I have some for the whole year.
Thems mighty big words for someone not posting the recipe. Why not share it?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:48 AM

i always save some meat so i can have jerky opening day, but i just threw in a batch because i am tring a new recipe andwanted to make sure it is good.the guywho gaveme the recipe said it is the best tasting jerkyhe has ever had,

here's the recipe
1lb venison
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon A1 steak Sauce
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup whiskey "he says that is optional but better with it"

it sure dose smell good
Old 09-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the recipe i would like to know how it turns out. i would also like to see some more recipes im always up for tryin a new jerky recipe
Old 09-09-2005, 01:04 PM

ok i just took the batch out and i must say it is very good! the only thingi am going to change in the recipe when i make my next batch is the amount of pepper, just not quite enough for me. but it is still great jerky
Old 09-09-2005, 01:16 PM

Yep you can over dry the meat. . . .I have the same drier you describe. . .135 is to darn hot. . .make sure that your meat is of a pretty even thickness or you will have to remove the thinner ones before the rest. I run mine with about 8 or 10 trays. This is just enough for a Texas white tail quarter. I marinate the well trimmed meat for 8 to 24 hours using terikai merimade as my main ingredient. . Then add things like onion salt, garic, chili power, maple syrup, olive oil, black pepper etc. to taste. I start the meat at no more than 115 deg. and then check it after the first 7 or 8 hours. you want dry but not brittle. no soft spots. The idea is get it dry slow enough as to not cook and not so slow as to end up with a bacteria problem. If a batch takes more than 24 hours to complete turn up your heat a bit on the next batch.

Enjoy.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

I just might have to try your recipe out killer thanks.