Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

In The "Zone"

Old 09-07-2005, 01:43 PM

Default RE: In The "Zone"

I love that feeling. As soon as I see the deer, I'm sure my heart is pounding, but I never notice it. Time goes into slow motion and I center the crosshairs and hold it for a few seconds, not breathing. Then I tell myself, "It's now or never," and pull the trigger. I don't feel the recoil or hear the report: all I know is that the scope jumped off the deer. A split-second later my visionsnaps into focusand I see a deer kicking on the ground. That's when I get so excited I can hardly get out of the stand.

It'll be interesting to see how that carries over to bowhunting this season...
Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Exactly the way I feel,, It's 20 degrees out you've been sitting in your stand for the last 4 hours your frezzing and then you hear it, Snap!!! A twig on the ground and you look around to see the one you have been waiting for, big buck, little buck, doe, it's all the same to me, my heart starts to pound the shaking knees you stand up slowly draw your bow back aim, and at that point you feel nothing, no cold, the knees stop shaking your focused, you almost become one with everything around, I don't hear nothing, I only see a small patch of hair just one single strand, and then you release the arrow and you hear that sound, undiscripible by words,, and you watch the deer run and see it fall, and at that point your a freaking wreck, cant stand still, cant sit down, all you want to do is go get your trophy,, well at least thats how it is for me.....man I can't wait!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Site Bouncer

honestly i dont even know if im breathing for that first minute or two when he comes into sight!! its a great feeling.
It is obvious by some of the posts that I'm reading that some of you know EXACTLY how I'm feeling. It's hard to explain but I loose track of time almost. I could not tell you how long I held the draw or anything else that happens after I pull back. I can only remember a small patch of fur. I can remember the exact trail and path the deer took to get to me and all of the times it stopped, but once I draw....nothing.

I am so focused on the moment of the shot that everything else fades into oblivion. Then shortly after the shot it all starts to overwhelm me in a rush of feelings, senses and emotions. I'm like a kid again who can't wait for his parents to wake up on Christmas morning so I can open presents. I can't even sit still in the tree I'm so anxious to go to the downed deer.

Thanks for all of the responses and keep them comming.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

The instant my arm begins to draw, my mindgoes blank as can be, and instinct takes over and it just happens. I can recall it later as I replay the shot, but when I shoot everything is being processed in my headand it doesn't even feel like it.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with everyone 100%. Its seems like I always shoot my best when everything goes silent and the only thing that exists is that little spot
behind the shoulder. Man I have got to get in a stand , this is killing me!!!
Come on Oct 1!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 PM

Once I get that first deer of the season the rest seem to go perfect for me.Its that first one that I have my problems with.Just getting the shot off is the hard part.I do hit where I aim though.But after that first shot nothing else seems to bother me I also fix on one spot and just get into my groove is what I cal lit.I can mess up practicing that what it is for.Trying new things and such perfecting another.The time to be consistant is in the stand.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:11 PM

hey bigj12, that's the awsome thing about hunting. if I ever lose that feeling I'll quit hunting.
that's a promise
Old 09-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get excited when any deer comes in. I love that feeling so much. Beads of sweat collecting on my brow, heart pumping, at full draw as nothing exsists but that one hair I'm aiming at.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:57 PM

I almost always shootmybest(rifle, shotgun, or bow) at the moment of truth...