Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need solid advise

Old 09-06-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Need solid advise

Hey ya'll I just finished shooting and noticed my string where it runs through the cable guide is almost white. Now understand I wax my string after every session and I haven't noticed any fraying. Is this a sign that my string is about to go or should I get a new cable guide? Thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 12:16 AM

Default RE: Need solid advise

i`m going to go with the only obvious advice first.
bring your bow to the shop and have some one check it out if you can`t figure it out.

from what you said.
it sounds like something is waring the string enoughfor you to notice. check out the guide and see if something is wrong there. binding, or maybe the string is cutting into the guide. i dunno...

PT
Old 09-07-2005, 12:26 AM

Thanks PT,
I do see some wear on the cable guide. Does this mean I should replace the string and the guide just to be safe? Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:30 AM

i would
Old 09-07-2005, 12:41 AM

PT,
I should ave thought about this earlier. I currently have my pinsanddraw weight(65#) set. If I do this, will I need to reset everything? I think I have the time. I don't hunt till1 November. I think I will have the time to adjust and fine tune. What's your call? Thanks...
Old 09-07-2005, 12:53 AM

oh boy, your going to have to wait on someone else for this one.
string stretch... maybe... i`m guessingthey are strings and not cables so, they might have to stretch to the bow like a draw string.
but like i said tech stuff ain`t my bag.
any body else got a clue..

PT
Old 09-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Site Bouncer

Depending on how much you shoot you should have time to replace all of the cables and string and still be ready. There will be some stretch depending on the type of material used but you should be able to have everything settle down in about 100 shots or less. Then once everything is re-adjusted you should be good to go. If you are just replacing your cables and not your string you should still check your nock and peep placement after the cables are installed because theymay move. How much depends on how stretched out the cables were. Nothing that a simple adjustment can't fix (peep and nock) everything else should still be fine
Old 09-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd definately have it checked out even if only for peace of mind. Last thing you want is for a string break that could cause injury. [&:]

Do you have any idea how many shots you have on the string? Most manufacturers have recommendations on how often they should be replaced. From what I understand 2000-3000 shots is about average for a string. Your local shop should be able to tell you for certain if the string and/or cable slide need replaced. If they have to replace the string they will most likely recommend replacing the cable too. If it were me I'd replace both at the same time.

If a new string gets installed it will stretch some. Depending on the materials some strings stretch more than others. This can be time consuming if you don't have your own bow press. Once the string stretches you'll have to go back to the shop and have them press the bow so that they can put some twists in the cable to compensate for the stretch. If not your ATA, brace height, etc. will all be out of tune.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the cable slide white or black?If it is white i think i know why the string is turning white--my string gets that look to it if it has alot of wax on it where it is rubbing.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:31 PM

JeramyK and Jsasker,
To answer you both. I had it checked out and it's the wax and cable slide. So while picking up my newly blazered arrows I bought a Alpine Archery GlideSlide to replace my old crappy black POS. I like it and it absorbesvibration and quiets the string more. Iwill keep a eye on the string for wear. I haven't got anywhere close to 1k shots yet but thanks for the info. Good news is I had 2 arrows fletched with 4 blazers and the rest with 3. I noticed more speed from the 4 vaned arrow. Maybe it stabilized quicker I don't really know. I mainly worked on sound of impact.All I know is that I'm really psyched for the season and I'm on it dog gone it. Thanks everyone for the guidance. I appreciate you all.Thanks brothers.

Ben

Quick Reply: Need solid advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.