Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rubs = ?

Old 09-06-2005, 10:58 PM

Default rubs = ?

here in central florida the deer are now rubbing velvet from their antlers, just starting to.
these rubs that they leave do they have any significantly meaning? i have found two nice rub lines so far got one of my stands near one at this time. is this a waste to do? season starts here on the 24th. would these rubs be good to sit at or near?
thanks all.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rubs = ?

Rub lines are usually made from bucks "marking their territory boundaries." Sitting near rub lines won't hurt anything. It probably means that you're in a bucks area.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:12 PM

It could mean that you have found a bucks rub line, which mark his travel route. However, if you are finding these rubs in and around feeding areas, they could be useless. It depends on the situation. A buck does not just meander throughout the woods without any rhyme or reason. His travel routes will often times be marked my rubs. I've found rublines that you follow at a brisk jog, but most of the times they are hard to decipher and require alot of post season scouting.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my favorite early season tactics is to find a rub line where a buck crosses a fence. set up 30 yards downwind and chances are good you'll see him the first evening you hunt it.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:08 AM

rub lines are one of the most productive and preferredtechniques around my neighborhood.

you should go ahead and pattern a game plan.they seem to pay off for everyone i know.

PT
Old 09-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never really had any luck hunting right on rub lines. However, I have had luck using rub lines to get an overall idea as to the pattern of a buck. For example, if you notice the rub line generally going from a secure bedding area through a funnel towards a feeding area then it is a safe bet that a buck is using that overall area but not necessarily the same trail.

I haven't noticed any rubs yet but I am going out Friday night to do some checking.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:50 AM

During this time of year it is hard to say because the bucks will rub a lot of trees to get the velvet off their antlers. Look around the rub lines for old scrapes. Find rubs and scrapes together you have a good spot. Either way as mentioned in another post above, bucks are traveling in the area. If you can find rubs somewhere between the bedding and feeding area that would be the best place to set up your stand. A lot of times rubs around the feeding area are made at night.

Good Luck
Old 09-07-2005, 09:01 PM

ok the rubs line that i have found is one coming from a feeding area and going to his beding area. i have posted up at the edge of the swamp at a three way access point into the swamp. there is a nice eight pointer a six and a spike in the area. and the larger rubs are more out in the open the the smaller ones. the little samplings are about 20 yards from my stand there is a trail behind me and two infront of me. the next easy access point to the swamp is about 150 yards north of my present stand location. and i know that several does use that area. havent seen much doe sign where the rubs are though.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:07 PM

Looks like you have it figured out, good luck!!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 PM

I would definately hunt that rub line.Later in the season you may switch to the trail the does are using because the bucks will be running a trail just off of therres scent checking the does.

Quick Reply: rubs = ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.