Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot Placement

Old 09-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Default RE: Shot Placement

I appreciate it, ya'll. I think depending on the angle of the shot, I'm going to put it through both lungs. If I do have a problem with what pass threw was talking about I'll go for the heart. I appreciate ya'lls advice! Thanks!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aim for the exit hole. Imagine whare your arrow will come out the deer and aim to get the most vital tissue inside the deers chest.

It all depends on the angle of the shot as to where you should aim.

Sometimes you need to aim high on the deer to get both lungs but will pass over the heart. Sometimes you get a perfectly broadside shot and can put it square in his chest and double lung him (which is best and results in a quicker kill than a heart shot). Sometimes he is quartering away enough that you need to put it through the rear of one lung and the front of the other lung.

If you take out both lungs but not the heart then the deer still has a pump forcing blood out of its vanes and arteries. If you take out the pump then the blood simply drains out. Would you rather the blood be pumped out or drain out?

However the heart shot is obviously a fatal shot as well.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just think about this.....When the heart receives trauma, the body shuts it down automatically, when means the heart isn't pumping blood. But when the lungs have 4 holes that are pouring out blood, which results in a loss of blood pressure, the heart will start to beat harder and faster to try and compensate for the loss of pressure, which means more blood will be pumped out, thus bigger blood trail.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 PM

A heart is autorythmic (ie. beats on its own), the deers brain cannot make it shut down.... not trying to be a jerk but a deer will bleed just as much with a heart shot
Old 09-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually zac, it won't because the heart is designed to pump blood in only one direction. When you put a hole in the heart you cut the valves and chambers and it no longer is able to pump. It simply sloshes the blood around as it drains from the heart.

It still beats but the blood isn't going anywhere.

A deer will bleed the most if you cut the aorta or pulmanary artery just above the heart as every single drop of blood is pumped into the chest cavity either returning from the body to the lungs, returning to the heart from the lungs, or going to the body from the heart.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 PM

He'll actually die quicker with a good double lung hit. Atleast in my experiences, a heart shot deer will run flat out until they drop dead. Many times a double lung hit will run at first and then slow pretty quickly and drop within sight.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

He'll actually die quicker with a good double lung hit. Atleast in my experiences, a heart shot deer will run flat out until they drop dead. Many times a double lung hit will run at first and then slow pretty quickly and drop within sight.
these are true facts,good pointdouble creek.
because i do aim at the heart, most timesi actually hit it. the deer i hit in the lungs have always died quicker and closer.
i aim at the heart only because i kill more deer.
most times whenever i had aimed at the lung or center of the deer. they drop under the shot.
i hunt to eat therefor i hunt to kill.

PT
Old 09-07-2005, 07:01 AM

So maybye I should aim for the heart. If I make my bow a little bit more quite would that make it suitable to go for the lungs. I mean like by some string whiskers, limbsavers, etc. thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

No matter where you aim to hit, It always helps to have the quitest bow possible, In all reality Where you aim all depends on the deer, and what I mean is, if the deer is nice and calm and casualy just lumbering along and not on high aleart the chances of him JUMPING the string decrese quite a bit, now if the deer seems a bit edgey and does not looked relaxed then you have a better chance of him jumping the string,, I like to to aim for the Heart that way I still have a better chance of hitting the lungs if the deer pulls under, I think it's best to aim where you will feel more confident and have the best chance of hitting the mark. There is a lot of good advice in here it's up to you to use it what ever way is best for you....
Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 AM

I think bowfreak4life nailed it on the head. I appreciate all your help. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Shot Placement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.