Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pit Blind

Old 09-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pit Blind

Has anyone ever tried to hunt underground?[:-]

I was thinking it would be pretty cool todig a pit and make a blind out of it. Kind of like a foxhole. I would dig it so you could sit down and have your eyes level with the ground to be able to see. Just the top of your head would be showing. You could pile up some branches or whatever around the perimeter to better conceal the top of your head. Leave little gaps in the limbs so you can still see easy enough. Make it so when you needed to get up to draw you could get off your seat and when you stood up you would be just enough above the limbs around the edge to be able to draw and shoot.
I think it would be pretty cool if you could find the right location to build one. Scent would obviously be an issue, but you'd have to build it and hunt it accordingly to the wind. The other problem would be standing and drawing on their level. What do you think? Grab a shovel and start digging?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pit Blind

i've heard of doing it but i never have. i started to try it last year. i founda big hole a little bit away from a trail but i was kinda worried about getting in and out of it. i couldn't tell whether the hole was from a tree falling down or a sinkhole. it would be fine if it were a tree hole but a sink hole wouldn't be too safe. i guess it would work if you could get in and dig the hole without scaring everything away. i don't really see the point in it though unless you don't like treestands or there aren't trees to put them in.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I've done the same thing by just sitting in a ditch on a dove seat and shot a couple. I also sat in a small creek with my feet in the water with a dove seat backed up against some tree roots that were undermined with water. I shot a nice 8 point at 8 yards as he stood in the creek with me. My access to the location was wading up the creek a couple hundred yards. If I had the rights to the land I know of two places I'd dig a hole right now and could guarantee you a shot a any one of a dozen deer daily.[&:]
Old 09-05-2005, 12:55 PM

I love pit blinds!!! Mainly for turkey hunting but I suppose you could hunt deer out of one. Out where I hunt its really sandy so digging a pit blind is pretty quick and easy, keeping it from falling in after a rain is the hard part!!