Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A point about droppings

Old 09-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A point about droppings

I've heard the arguments against doe/buck droppings and they seem to make sense. My first post was that I had always believed this. My understanding was that in the fall when a buck was going into rut, he changes his eating habits and started eating things like bark and twings...filling up for the rutting weeks when he wasn't going to eat. Because of this his digestion changes...hge becomes constipated...whatever...and that's why you get the clumps from a buck. Any thought on that??
Old 09-04-2005, 10:29 PM

Default RE: A point about droppings

There are so many different opinions on this that it is hard to really say what is and isnt.I have heard that both does and bucks clump depending on what they eat.I have always been led to believe that does are pellets and bucks clump.So to be truthful I really cant answer this.I would like to find out the truth to this myself.In the past I have found that where I know the bucks to be hanging out I see the clumped terds.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A point about droppings

I dont think you can tell. If you could, i think that would be the only animal you could tell the sex by the feces. Soft mast food will give a deer soft feces. Hard mast food will give deer hard feces..

The ONLY REAL way to tell the difference between sexes from droppings is to SMELL, THEN TASTE.. The female will taste sweeter and the male will have more of a bitter taste to it.
Try it for yourself next time your in the woods..