Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I be worried???

Old 09-04-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Should I be worried???

Hey everyone,

I was just outside shooting my new b-heads to see how well they perform. I am shooting 100 grain Rocky Mt Gator XP's on 28.75" Gold Tip Pro Hunter 55/75's out of a BowTech Allegiance (30" @ 70#) I was shooting into a Morrell Super Super Plus bag target.

I was shooting 1 field tip arrow and 1 arrow with the Gator XP. My first shot was at 20 yards with a field tip and it was dead center bullseye, I then shot the Gator and the arrows were touching.When I pulled the arrows out I found that one of the blades on the Gator XP had broke off, ON THE FIRST SHOT [:-] I blew that off as a fluke so I stepped back to 30 yards and shot the field tip arrow, dead center bullseye, shot the Gator XP and it was about 1/2" lower than the field tip arrow. Pulled them out and the Gator looked as it did before the second shot. I step back to 40 yards and repeat the process. My field tip arrow hit about 1/2" above the top of the bullseye and the Gator XP hit about 1/2" below the top of the bullseye.I went up to retrieve my arrows and found that the second blade on the Gator XP had broke.

Call me crazy, but I can't see this as being anything but bad. If this b-head won't stand up to a burlap sack filled with cloth and foam, how the heck is it ever gonna stand up on a 250# whitetail?

These b-heads are exceptionally accurate, probablly the second sharpest b-head I have seen (beside the Thunderhead), and they are a very simple and easy to use design, but none of that means a thing if they are gonna break so easily.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Should I be worried???

Doesn't sound right to me, if they break on bag what would they do if they hit a rib[&:]I think I would contact the manufacturer, maybe it was just a fluke.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

As usual, could it be just a bad batch? Has anyone else reported similar problems? What did 5shot have to say about them in his review?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

JMHO...One fluke is one too many for me. I would drop them like a hot potatoe and find something else. I demand the best and if it breaks now, what is to say that they won't break again later.

--One other thought...are you shooting the broadheads into a broadhead target or a bag target? If you are shooting them into a bag target, that could be what is breaking them. Make sure the target is to be used with broadheads, or else pulling them out will be a pain in the butt, and that could be what is causing the blades to break off.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:03 PM

I for one would be very upset and worried, I would want something to last. If it cant hold up on a foam target than there is a real problem there.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:06 PM

I think I would be a bit worried. After all......we don't need to give buckeye boy any more ammunition....LOL.....
Old 09-04-2005, 08:11 PM

I would check to see if there is something besides clothe in the bag.Might of gotten a piece of metal or a piece of hard plastic in there.That would be my first instinct.I had one and I found some very hard plastic in mine.I also broke a BH off in mine.They use all kinds of crap to fill them bags.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

i'd be a littel urked...hope you get to the bottom of it before opening morning.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have said the first shot hit the other arrow, but it happening a 2nd time , then something is up. I have never had any type of problem with the Gators, in fact they made it through the steel barrel intact. I was shooting a few yesterday into a foam target, shot maybe 8 times, without any blade problems. It's possible you got a bad pack or something else is not right? I would contact Rocky mtn and see what they say. I am sure they will take care of you.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would be personally. i would check it out with the company and see if they would replace them. i could see the first one breaking if it hit the other arrow but the second one would really have me wondering.

Quick Reply: Should I be worried???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.