Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best type of lighting for tracking a downed deer?

Old 09-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best type of lighting for tracking a downed deer?

If I'm jumpind on the trail right away I will just use my mini-mag light that has LED bulbs in it, along with my regular headlamp. If I go back to the truck/camp, cause I its might be a little more of an involved tracking job, then I will also bring out the Coleman Lantern and sometimes the spotlight to help me see farther down the trail. White bellies show up great in the spotlight.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others, you just can't beat the classic coleman lantern for blood trailing!
Old 09-03-2005, 12:53 PM

you see deer, you shoot deer, you wait, you climb down from tree, look for deer, mark trail, gets dark, couldnt find deer, go to truck, drive home, get blood trailing hound from kennel, return to frist marking point, put dog on trail, follow dog, retrieve deer, drag to truck, load dog and deer into truck, go home a happy man. seams to work everytime.
(provided you got a good shot on deer and he went down soon after the shot).
Old 09-03-2005, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Polkat

you see deer, you shoot deer, you wait, you climb down from tree, look for deer, mark trail, gets dark, couldnt find deer, go to truck, drive home, get blood trailing hound from kennel, return to frist marking point, put dog on trail, follow dog, retrieve deer, drag to truck, load dog and deer into truck, go home a happy man. seams to work everytime.
(provided you got a good shot on deer and he went down soon after the shot).
and providing you have a blood hound !

PT
Old 09-03-2005, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

I bought a surefire LED light and I have really liked it. However, like other LED lights, the batteries don't last long. I keep a couple extra sets of batteries in my pack at all times.
If your LED light uses batteries fast, you need to send it back. LED's use very little power and a set of batteries should last hours and hours of burn time. Most of the Surefire LEDs last 4-5 hours on high setting, and 90 on low setting. Their bulb lights however to eat batteries. My G2's will run for an hour solid on L123 batteries, but puts out bookoo light.
Chris
Old 09-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

LOL...good one Polkat. Unfortunately for some though like here in WI, it's illegal to use dogs for the recovery of deer. As far as the lighting situation goes. I carry my Jumpstarter pack in a back pack and plug my spot light into the 12V outlet on it. There's a lot to be said for a million candlepower floodlight when trailing a deer, and the light goes in the pack with jumper pack when it's time to drag. Give it a try sometime to those of you still using a lantern, as I use to use the lantern myself until I started going a little more high tech...lol