Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

compounds

Old 09-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: compounds

ArthurP, you certainly bring up some great points and ones I don't think many can argue with. I'm a fan of anyone who is passionate about the sport of bowhunting not the guy that digs his bow out of the closet right before the season starts! Of course, I will admit to rolling my eyes a bit when I read in his last thread the "meat hunter" part... Man, most compound guys I know that talk like that do so because they are the worst hunters and don't stand a chance at outwitting a mature animal!

Of course I also don't buy that crap, "That's a good buck for trad equipment".... what in the heck does that mean??? [:'(]Just WHY is it accepted that trad guys that shoot immature yearling bucks have somehow accomplished something that the compound guy hasn't ???
Old 09-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same thing a gun hunter says about a deer shot with a compound. "Nice buck for a bow." It's easier to shoot a deer with a gun than it is with a compound. It's easier to shoot one with a compound than a recurve. So, even though the equipment doesn't add points to or subtract points from the buck's rack, you pick up 'difficulty points' for braggin' rights.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:23 PM

said it on another forum where they broght up my post, im not alkign abotu saying oh well ti a good buck cause i dropped it witha longbow, i mean takeing deer for meat not the sizer of there rack or how much i can brag. i don't plan on saying haha i shot a bigger buck, i don't care . im not lowering my standards cause i suck i mean id only hunt to make meat. not take tons of deer because i can but jsut what i can eat. make sense?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:24 PM

I have nothing but respect for those that shoot recurves and long bows, especially if they are good at it. Even those that shoot compounds instinctual. Mainly because I have tried it and can't do it. I don't understand how you can do it and be accurate or consistant, it baffles me. And I'm pretty good with most weapons.

And I love the looks of recurve bows. The only reason I don't own one is because I just can't get the hang of shooting them, and they kill my fingers when I try. Well I did buy a used one, but it broke when I was trying string it. Mostly because I didn't know what the heck I was doing. But I've been told if it broke then, it most likely would have broke while I was shooting it.

As far the deer thing mentioned above. "That is a nice deer for a bow." In my area it is sort of the opposite. The nicer deer are usually taken with a bow because there is less pressure during that season and most of the guys are better hunters. I think there are more deer taken during gun season, especially the first week. But the ones during archery season or late season tend to be a bit better quality from what I have seen.

We have a fair amount of bow hunters here though.

Paul
Old 09-03-2005, 04:42 PM

where did the recruve break? if you strung it wraong and twisted the libm while bendign it you couls shear a recurve off. to safely string a bow you should buy a bow stringer to fit it, the stringer bends the bow useing the same direction of force as the bow feels when your shooting it, if you use the step thru meathod and mess up you can shear a recurve off, or crack the limb.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are folks who actually do enjoy shooting high tech stuff. But they make up more of a minority in the archery community at large than even traditional shooters do.
"Minority"? Probably , but we do exist.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:40 PM

i dont look down on anyone were all sportsmen and we should all stick together ,we all got one thing in common doing somthing we all love to do
Old 09-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I have a lot respect for all GOOD archers. As mentioned before, it's the guys that blow the dust off their bows the day before they're going hunting that give us ALL a bad image. In regards to what type of equipment is being used, to each their own. I havethree trad bows, 64"/ 59# Black Widow MA II Gray Bark, a Martin Hunter 62"/55# (use for bow fishing), and I have a 1953 Bear Kodiak 60"/47# that my grandfather left me when he passed. The Kodiak NEVER leaves the house as it's in my den hanging on the wall out of respect for my grandfather and forwhatthe bow is worth, but I've only taken one deer with a trad bow, and it's just fun to shoot trad bows.
I PREFER to shootcompound just becuase it's my preference, but I would like to take a nice buck someday with a trad bow, perhaps when I have more time to hunt. I still have every compound I've ever owned including the first 3 my parents bought me as a kid. I have my first which was a Ben Pearson fiberglass limb wheel bow that the handle was the rest as well...lol I have the Darton they bought me when I was 10, and the Martin Cougar Magnum II they bought me at 15. I currently have 9 bows of my own in my house, 3 trads and 6 compounds...lol the fiancee says I should get rid of some of them, but I built racks for them and they hang on my wall in my den and every one of them has special memories that go with them that just won't let me sell them.
Any "so-called" archer that wants to look down on another archer for the equipment of THEIR choice should be punched right in the mouth....PERIOD! Good luck to all this season whatever you hunt with and be SAFE!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:12 PM

Yep, I know about the stringers now, about a day too late. I actually stepped on the limb with my foot after struggling for about half an hour to get it strung. snapped it right in half! I knew nothing about them at the time. Oh well lessons learned. Since then I have looked at them in shops and shot a few under supervision. I just can't seem to get the hang of them, or the feel for them.

They sure are pretty though. I even like the old wooden compounds. I have a budy that has an old darton that looks really nice. Just something about polished wood that make me all tingly inside, be it a bow or a gun.

Paul