Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fletching

Old 09-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default fletching

which is better?? straight fletching or helical fletching
And by better.. Im asking which gives more stability to the shaft ..the better SPIRAL????
Old 09-02-2005, 02:27 PM

Default RE: fletching

helical
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 PM

Helical gives the arrow more of a spin in flight, hence greater accuracy.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on what kind of rest you use. If you use a drop away, helical will put more spin on the arrow and stabilize it faster without fletching contact. If you have a prong type rest, you might not achieve clearance with a hard helical fletch. I never shot a biscuit, so I can't comment on that type of rest.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:11 PM

in trad archery it is always helectical. we don't use drop away rests either the arrow sits on a solid wedge of leather and they come off cleanly. uit starts the shaft spinnign, that kills archjers paradox and gets it goin on a straiter trajetory, like a rifled barrel or a flatbore musket, the rifled one shoots straiter. and when hunting it gets the broad head to cause more damage by rotateing thru the target like a sawblade cutting a nice big hole.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a prong rest with straight fletching... Id be best to up grade no???? Pretty accurate the way it is. But Id like it to be better if possible.I havea martin lynx magnum Fairly old but reliable. Any ideas

That long bow looks like its easier to shoot than my compound, dam.. Im missing out huh????
Old 09-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

That traditional longbow stuff has always appealed to me , .i just never got the bow to get started> Maybe Ill get one under the tree if I hint around enuf
Closer to the old ways of THE PEOPLE,, I watch that Tred Barta on OLN old school bow , homemade wooden arrows. Byron Furgeson trick shot archer LONGBOW
Old 09-03-2005, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

hi gutshot, I also have a martin, phantom, it's old by todays standards also, but shoot a WB. and have right helical fletchings. I fletch all my own arrows using the Arizona ez fletch. I like it and it's fast. I use asmall bead of glue on the leading edgeof the fletchings. this helps the fletching live a little longer from the WB. Asthe WB breaks in it will get quieter and tear less fletchings. I really like the WB, never have to worry about the arrow falling off, good luck, hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:13 AM

yeah the long bow is easy for me to pull, prolly cause i shoot one, i shoot 55-60 lb but it doen't feel very heavy at all any more. as for you who want to try trad, make one! i make all of my bows, i mean all of em, ive never owned a bow i didn't make.

here is my website i have a tutorial for makign a simple longbow, good first time bow, also some pics of a few of my older bows that i made last year, havn't added this years bows. http://www.freewebs.com/traditionalb...yourownbow.htm
Old 09-03-2005, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: trad_archer

yeah the long bow is easy for me to pull, prolly cause i shoot one, i shoot 55-60 lb but it doen't feel very heavy at all any more. as for you who want to try trad, make one! i make all of my bows, i mean all of em, ive never owned a bow i didn't make.

here is my website i have a tutorial for makign a simple longbow, good first time bow, also some pics of a few of my older bows that i made last year, havn't added this years bows. http://www.freewebs.com/traditionalbows/makingyourownbow.htm
Im actually thinking about using your tutorial to make my own longbow, should be interesting.

Quick Reply: fletching

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.