Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many use the "Food Plot" argument?

Old 09-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Default How many use the "Food Plot" argument?

I had one of those "Eureka" moments today when I had to defend myself against an anti-hunter here at work.

I was telling my buddy about how I found a new friend at churchwho is going to help me put a food plot in. Well, an anti heard me and thought it was a great chance to show me up and he stood up and said, loudly, thatI am only planting it to kill more deer and to make the deer I kill biggerl. He was all smug and smiles as he stood there thinking he had me dead to rights, so to speak, within earshot ofseveral fellow workers. Then the Eureka moment hit and I simply replied, "At best I am allowed to shoot two deer a year. What about the other 40-60 deer or more that will likely visit it and be healthier, more disease resistant, less tick infested, and better able to survive winter and give birth to healthy fawns as a result of the food plot?"

He 'Hmmphhh!' and walked away. It was nice watching his smile turn to a disappointed frown before he walked away. I had never thought of that argument before because I never had a food plot so I never had to defend it. Has anyone else used this as a viable argument to anti's?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many use the "Food Plot" argument?

I dont know......let me say that food plots are like baiting. You know that if you build it ...they will come......I am a FREE RANGE kind of guy.Deer , LARGE DEER have been around long before man started the all you can eat buffets, nature takes its course, disease, famine, etc.. Who are you to play GOD.!! Do you feed the chipmunks and the squirrels and the rabbits, etc. Now there is another side to your dilemma... Glad I could help!!!!

Not to worry.... I HUNT.... so Im in your corner......sort of ....
ALSOyou have a right to hunt as he has a right to speak thats it.......Eureka
Old 09-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good come back man I will remember that one.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:58 PM

heeze gutshot shortee,

Question for you, do you hunt near agricultural fields? How bout near a large stand of oak trees? I'll bet you do. Know tell me how a food plot is "baiting" and how "baiting" differs from sitting on the edge of a clover/corn field that a farmer planted?

I love hearing that "food plots are like baiting". I'll bet that most guys get their judgement from watching hunting videos and t.v. shows where deer are hammering food plots throughout the day. Its not some field of dreams that draws in every single monster buck within fifty miles where they are willing to feed in the open during day-light hours. Sure, the feed is typically better for the deer, but that is pretty much the only differance between that and agricultral fields (I can hear it now, "but food plots last all year where agricultral fields are picked every year", yes, but there will be feed in those fields throughout the hunting season no matter when it was picked)
Old 09-02-2005, 04:00 PM

yeah dont we all hate anti hunters
Old 09-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoulda just asked him what his "high and mighty" self had done to better the deer heard.

Probably woulda shut his little yapper then too. I don't "hate" anti-hunters...I just think they aremisled.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

You told him! He had nothing to counter that logic.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

I dont know......let me say that food plots are like baiting. You know that if you build it ...they will come......I am a FREE RANGE kind of guy.Deer , LARGE DEER have been around long before man started the all you can eat buffets, nature takes its course, disease, famine, etc.. Who are you to play GOD.!! Do you feed the chipmunks and the squirrels and the rabbits, etc. Now there is another side to your dilemma... Glad I could help!!!!

Not to worry.... I HUNT.... so Im in your corner......sort of ....
ALSOyou have a right to hunt as he has a right to speak thats it.......Eureka
Playing God now, are we?

How exactly?

I'd like to see you explain your thought process out on that one.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:06 PM

Great response!! Nothing like a calm intelligent response (which happens to be logical and true) to send them away with their tail between their legs!! Nice job!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

LETS GET READY TO RUMMMBLE!!!!!

I plant a food plot to attract deer. That isn't something to be ashamed of. Also, I plant it so my inlaws can see more deer and turkeys by there house. But, mainly so I can shoot more deer.

Quick Reply: How many use the "Food Plot" argument?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.