Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many use the "Food Plot" argument?

Old 09-04-2005, 10:01 AM

Default RE: How many use the "Food Plot" argument?

Okay guys, I have several food plots planted and I get labeled a "lazy hunter" for this.... now how does that work when I don't hunt these plots? They are just plots that help the herd and are fun to put a game camera over.

As far as what it takes to plant a food plot, thats all about what you have. Several of my plots were put in entirely by hand, using a small pump sprayer to kill off the weeds, using a rake to scrape up the ground, using a hand spreader to spread the pelletized lime, fertilizer, and the seeds, then letting mother nature (rain) burry the seed for me. Food plots aren't something that you have to have the newest/latest/greatest John Deere to put in.

I have no problem with baiting if it is legal in your area, hey, do what you want to do, but a food plot and baiting are hardly the same thing.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay guys, I have several food plots planted and I get labeled a "lazy hunter" for this.... now how does that work when I don't hunt these plots?
Who called you "a lazy hunter"? Someone who hunts field edges (planted by farmers) or someone who hunts the oaks during acorn season? See what I mean?
If you "dont hunt these plots" then I guess it doesn't work any different than the guy who puts out piles of corn justto feed the deer or get game cam pics.

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

I have no problem with baiting if it is legal in your area, hey, do what you want to do, but a food plot and baiting are hardly the same thing.
Sure they are!Tell me the purpose of both and thentell me how their "hardlythe same thing"[:-]. Either way , your creating an unnatural food source to attract deer.
I dont have a problem with any of it. My problem lies with the ones who look down their noses at the next guys method when in reallity their doing the same damn thing.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well call me the laziest hunter of all then. I hunt over bait. Plain and simple. I'm not running, I'm not hiding, I'm not denying it. There is very little reason for a deer to come out of the brush and mesquite down here. And if your hunting so much as near a honeysuckle bush, oak tree, or even a shoot of grass, one could argue that your hunting over a food plot/source.

Besides, the only difference between my feeders and hunting by an oak tree is my feeder dings and doesnt waste all those aCORNs [8D]
Old 09-05-2005, 09:04 AM

LOL Josh you tell them.I think that if a certain means of hunting is legal in your area then you have every right to use it.I plant one small 50 yard circle on my property.for more then one reason.
1 deer
2 turkey
3 to hunt when the season is in.
4 we have droughts when there isnt much for the whitetails to eat.(last year we didnt have acorns the drought hurt the trees so they didnt grow)
5 my family likes to sit in our dining room while we eat and see the animals eating with us.
If you have the means then by all means plant a food plot.not only do the deer eat it but several other animals eat it also.I might only hunt my food plat 10 days a year but the good it does is 365 days a year.I say the odds are in there favor.
How can that be a bad thing?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

4 we have droughts when there isnt much for the whitetails to eat.
Ha! Texas is one big drought. We got almost an inch of rain a few days ago and within an hour, the sun had the soil bone dry and cracked again.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

I've been in a hunting club for 2 years, this coming season will be 3. We plant food plots. Never killled a deer on one. Only seen 1 deer on a food plot. The only deer I've ever killed have been on public land. And it's not because there aren't any deer on our place. We've got around 1100 acres, and had about 20 deer killed on it last year.

What kills me is folks arguing against food plots like it's something magic that is going to guarantee baggin a deer. It won't. But, I can tell you this. You don't plant them, and the deergo off your hunting property to eat on neighboring farms and such, you sure don't have a chance then. Especially on a club like ours, where the land owner is clearcutting hardwoods and planting pines in their place (which is happening all over the South) . No food plots = no quality food = no deer.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:51 AM

I've never hunted over a food plot or a bait, but if I could I would. This sport is never easy. Anyone who thinks a food plot or a bait is the silver bullet to easy deer hunting is mistaken. How many times have you scouted and found a great deer trail leading to a solitary oak dropping acorns, the area littered with deer droppings and rubs with the perfect tree for a stand nearby, and never saw a deer there? This game ain't easy. If I could, I'd have food plots, natural food sources, and baits, which I'd hunt over as conditions warrented. It's my opinion that the variety would contribute to success.

Now, as far as food plots go, I have to side with those who believe they are a benefit to wildlife. I live in the city and have to drive 2+ hours to get out into the country side. Every time I head out in the beginning of the season I am shocked to find how much habitat is being lost. I'm not just talking about the suburbs, but the farm, and woodland areas too. Food plots, regardless of why they were installed, at least give something back. As too does bait. Also, remember, as hunters we are the game managers of the land. Some deer (and other species) need to be removed from the herd. It all goes hand in hand.

As for the ethics of hunting over a food plot, or bait? If you don't like it don't do it. No one here is saying that you must. I'm sure there are probably people (mother/father-in law)out there who disagree with something you do, some aspect of your life, but they just keep their mouths shut, as they should, and move on.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:38 AM

Ahhh, finally some level headed responses. I never thought I would have to defend myself among fellows hunters for planting food for deer that would benefit them year round, not just for a one time meal. Oh well, to each their own, I guess.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:07 AM

That's pretty sensible there Mr Flairball! I get annoyed when I see people take the approach of 'remodeling' the woods to become simply a series of food plots, rather than any woodsmanship being involved. Regardless of ethics or legality, it does change the deinition of hunting. I have been a little too hard on this, so I have adjusted my attitude a littleseeing as this is allowed by law, and if people are going to do it, I don't have any animosity toward them, r any standing to say that it is not alllowable. But, I do prefer to hunt the 'old fashioned' (scouting, sign interpretation, doing a lot of leg work, and remaining as stealthful as possible )way. I guess it's similar to those that argue over bow vs gun, dfeinitions of 'trophyies', etc. There needs to be some general consensus reached, but as long as it falls within the perameters of the laws of your region, we shouldn't be critical or high and mighty about the methods we employ, or choose not to employ.